Nikon Df DSLR: New Camera Gets Retro Feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaffronBlaze

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
They call it high end but with the exception of the D4 sensor the rest is all borrowed from consumer grade cameras. Cool concept but the price is hardly warranted.

pkadair

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I just came...

To stop by and say that this new Nikon Df is a beautiful piece of engineering. I am a Canon man, but love the whole idea of this camera.

Matthew Mcconaughey Dazed and Confused Wooderson (GOOGLE IT)

Gotta keep L-I-V-I-N

See you in the Aether

Wild Biker Bill

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
What a lot of people will like is a straightforward pro full frame DSLR that isn't a physically huge monster. You can easily tell that just from the relative size of the lens to the camera body.

But at that price level Nikon will <sob> have to find someone other than me to buy it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
To the guys looking for video in this product , even though is not fair that they disabled that function, this camera is clearly a product only for real photographers who don`t give a shit about video functions, i don`t see videographers buying such a product if it had video.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
If you want video you buy a Canon... I've got a D800 and other than playing around with the capability I've never actually used it. For a pro photographer this will be a very interesting package - I'm not a big retro fan but seeing all those big easy to use dials makes me want one. The D4 is a $5k camera, I'd say getting the D4 sensor for a couple grand less is not such a bad deal.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I love the idea of all the controls being dials(instantly see all your settings) on that camera. Not that others with the push a button turn the dial does not work.

This is ART too.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
16MP? The price is ~$1200 too high. They also need to fix the issue where it doesn't allow you to use the aperture ring on AF-D lenses with an aperture ring. Instead it makes you lock he ring into the highest setting and use the funky dial on the front. WT_Heck? I like having an actual optical viewfinder but they also need to let us have something like a split-image option.

Close but no cigar. Maybe they just needed to pay off the D4 sensor production line and this is designed to help that.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Loving the retro styling. If Canon were to come out with something like this that had the features of say a 5D III or a 6D I'd jump on it. Maybe they should make a 6D II with this kind of retro styling. I also wish if they redesigned the mount or changed the flange distance they could offer a screw in adapter for old style FD glass. Though with that said the best MF glass is M42 or Contax if you have the adapters.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
@D_kuhn :
The D4 is a $6000 camera, just the body. ($5,996.95 still equals $6k hehehe)

@nukemaster :
The point of the dials is not what you can see, but what the person can feel. Since the 90s, Nikon has made two types of camera bodies - Old style and modern. When they went digital with the D1 ($4000+), they only went with the modern type. Which I like because you can hold the camera sideways and it comes with a 2nd set of shutter controls.

So, with some settings (with my modern cameras) I know by touch - but some cannot be done that way, without looking at the screen and using the D-Pad type controls for the menu. This is fine for me... but again, each their own.

@ethanoson
?! This is NOT built for the consumer market, nor is it mass-produced as the D3 or D800/600s. The 16MP sensor on top end cameras are not the same as those used on $1000, $500, $300 much less $100 cameras. The D4 is a $6000 tool, this Df is sold at a fair price as it lacks some functions of the D4. And there are lots of older lens for which it will work with perfectly - which I have. They work with mine, but not perfectly.

$2800 / $6000 is nothing to a pro who makes their living with photography. Its nothing compared to $4000~6000 lens. Top end telephoto lens start at $6000 and go up to $18,000! Way above my pay-grade or needs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.