Nintendo: 3DS Sales Weaker Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Considering that this has been one of the weakest launch lineups I've ever seen (no big name titles aside from SFIV) I'm not really surprised. Most of the time when I see any media of people playing 3DS games its either the built in camera/AR game or SFIV. All the hype has been around Kid Icarus, the n64 remakes, and Resident Evil. Come 3rd and 4th quarter things should pick up quite a bit when those games release, or new games are revealed.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I was thinking about getting a 3DS, but then it launched without a single game I'm interested in.

Nintendo is a great company but they have been a series of getting the cart before the horse. Better to delay the handheld to wait for software then to try to woo people with hardware alone.

G

Not surprised. I love Nintendo, but when I saw this I thought three things: 1.) $250? Uh, yeah, not happening. 2.) That release lineup sucks, and 3.) Nintendo will probably release an improved and smaller version - with new colors - within a year or so.

My cousin got the Super Street Fighter IV game with his. While it looked impressive, it failed to entertain us for very long. We had more fun with the camera and it's shooting game.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The 3DS does not bring anything new to the table. It is the same graphics that is currently found on a standard DS and the price is set too high..

I have seen the demo unit in the store and I am not drawn to it to try it or buy it....

Nintendo should have though about bring out a single screen system with enough horsepower to drive next generation gaming. This system may just end up where the VirtualBoy did.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Soo... 390,000 people didn't get a 3DS in March? Bummer Nintendo, sorry to hear that.

Seriously that just doesn't seem like a big deal to me!

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]The 3DS does not bring anything new to the table. It is the same graphics that is currently found on a standard DS and the price is set too high.. I have seen the demo unit in the store and I am not drawn to it to try it or buy it....[/citation]
This has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen about this device. While the price is a little high, the rest of your comment is completely unwarranted. Troll.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Because spending $300 on a handheld for a slightly upgraded handheld is worth it. Don't be like that Nintendo, there's a company that's already doing it better than you, they're called Apple.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Nexus52085[/nom]This has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen about this device. While the price is a little high, the rest of your comment is completely unwarranted. Troll.[/citation]

A little high? 250 is ridiculous. I can buy a 360 with that, Heck the wii is down to 150. 250 for a portable gaming device is stupid. I would say the same thing about an ipod touch, but I can listen to music, watch video, play crappy touch games, and have an app store. F Nintendo if it thinks I am dropping 250 on something that will give me a migraine. Just to play games. I bought a ds four years ago. Do you know what happened to that? It sits in a drawer and has since about 2 months after purchase.

Skiddywinks

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Price is too high (even if everyone wasn't skint, you can get a 360 for cheaper)

3D is still very gimmicky

No decent games

New version will be out in less than a year

To be honest, it looks like an obvious one to me. I think Ninty were expecting everyone to jump on it like they did the Wii. Glad to see people are using some sense for once.

To be fair, the graphics are greatly improved, but I think they would have had much more success if they had spent the wasted processing on 3D on making the graphics even better, and saved the cash on the 3D screen and lowered the price. Hell, throw in some awesome games and even I would be tempted, and I haven't owned a portable since the GBC.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]A little high? 250 is ridiculous. I can buy a 360 with that, Heck the wii is down to 150. 250 for a portable gaming device is stupid. I would say the same thing about an ipod touch, but I can listen to music, watch video, play crappy touch games, and have an app store. F Nintendo if it thinks I am dropping 250 on something that will give me a migraine. Just to play games. I bought a ds four years ago. Do you know what happened to that? It sits in a drawer and has since about 2 months after purchase.[/citation]
You can do the same with a 3DS... + 3D games, 3D pictures, street pass, augmented reality, 3D movies, etc. An app store? Fine, last time I checked, this wasn't an iPhone. It seems high until you compare it to Sony's upcoming device, which we all know is going to cost 400 bucks. The problem with sales are what was said earlier: lackluster launch titles and price. Plus, their e-store hasn't started yet, so there you go. However, saying that this device "has the same graphics that is currently found on a standard DS" is a complete load of crap.

DS and PSP right now are averaging, what, $160 per device? Regardless of what you think, the 3DS is worth more than the those handhelds if you consider all of the stuff Nintendo managed to pack in the device, and the fact that this is 2011 and not 2004 anymore. Now, personally, I think $250 is still too high, but $200 for this is not unreasonable.

As for your neglecting the device after 2 months, that clearly represents the 100 some-odd million people who own the DS, now doesn't it? See how ridiculous that argument is?

Yes, you can buy a 360 for that price, but don't even pretend that was the case back 2005. $250 is the price for the 3DS now, but it will go down eventually, like all electronic devices do. Once again, you're comparing an electronics consumer industry of 5-7 years ago vs. the industry now. If Microsoft or Sony released another high-end system this year, you think you'd be paying $250 for those consoles? No, they would be $500 on up.

If you're going to bash a system, at least have valid arguments and constructive criticism; and do your homework before stating obvious fallacies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I played around with the Demo 3DS at GameStop and was very impressed with it.
But i'm still gonna wait for more titles to come out.....

G

Its because the thing is ridiculously overpriced. I mean people just see it with a DS with some fancy graphics processing and less games...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The 3DS has the same graphics as the DS? Where do I turn the DS' 3D function on again?

I mean, if you aren't into the 3D aspect, then sure, you won't be interested. But the bottom line here was a horrible set of launch titles. An early year release doesn't help either, we all know the holidays push sales, by December I think the sales will have increased drastically. The people who DO own it seem happy with it, so no, this isn't going to be another Virtual Boy.

The Anti-Nintendo group can bash all they want, at least Nintendo can say "hey it's probably our fault, we had bad launch titles" instead of blaming piracy or telling customers they're just holding it wrong.

plum

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
[citation]Yes, you can buy a 360 for that price, but don't even pretend that was the case back 2005. $250 is the price for the 3DS now, but it will go down eventually, like all electronic devices do.[/citation]
The problem with your argument is the fact that, what matters at the end of the day is what you get for your money. So what if the xbox360 came out 5 years ago? it looks much better than the 3DS ever will and still gets awesome support. Everyone knows "old" electronics cost cheaper over time, but don't call this bad criticism just because you have no idea on how to wisely spend money.

When new things come out, think first if it's worth your money and everything you can get for $250 over a silly 3DS.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[/citation]The problem with your argument is the fact that, what matters at the end of the day is what you get for your money. So what if the xbox360 came out 5 years ago? it looks much better than the 3DS ever will and still gets awesome support. Everyone knows "old" electronics cost cheaper over time, but don't call this bad criticism just because you have no idea on how to wisely spend money.When new things come out, think first if it's worth your money and everything you can get for $250 over a silly 3DS.[/citation]
Well, firstly, you assume that I already bought the thing, which I haven't. Secondly, What I should have mentioned in my argument is that this is a handheld, not a console. Comparing the visuals of a home console to a handheld should not go into the overall value of a portable device. The function of a portable gaming device is different than that of a console. Sony tried to say it was the same, but history has proven them wrong. Along the same lines, I will say that trying to compare the value to a new piece of tech with the value of an older discounted one like that of the 360, which has had time to revamp and improve its overall value(and is, once again, a home console), is simply not fair. I could say that the value of my computer is infinitely more than the 360, but they both serve a different purpose.

In response to your second paragraph, I did say that $250 was too high, but only by about $50 bucks or so. I agree whole heartedly that everyone should consider the value in what they're buying before they buy it, but that should go without saying. However, if you think the 3DS is silly, go check out the specs and all of its features. "End of line."

Status
Not open for further replies.