Nintendo Confirms Wii U is Coming Holiday 2012 Amid Loss

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
It's weird, on the n64, nintendo were leading the hardware department while maintaining the old console nostalgia.

It's been terribly downhill since then. The wii was no better than the gamecube. This new one won't even trouble the HD on tv's probably.

Not to mention, the kinect wipes the floor with the wii controls.

Just another nintendo gimmick. The n64 (despite it's horrendous early pricing) was the last peak of nintendo imo.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I'm actually looking forward to seeing/hearing more about this. I have all 3 consoles but Xbox/PS3 have no real differentiation, and just keep rehashing the same ol' when it comes to games. Granted, it's the game developers that are doing the rehashing, but still. I never thought I'd say it, but I'd rather game on my iPhone than on my consoles. If anyone's going to lure me back to my TV to play video games it's probably going to be Nintendo.

Wow, I think I'm officially old now.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Right now we have cool phones that happen to play games. If they were smart, they'd make a cool game system that happens to make phone calls (and other stuff). Shift the focus.

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
"At least another 478 titles, just to be sure, with plenty of cross-over like "Donkey Kong Zelda Kart vs Sonic & Mario"

At least the next generation is going to begin as I'm getting tired of playing the current stream of "Grand Metal Gear Halos of War Solid Fantasy" and all of the prequels and sequels.

"Sorry Nintendo, but I'm not interested in a gimmicky gadget that tries to be a game system."

See: Kinect & PS3 Move.

"Not to mention, the kinect wipes the floor with the wii controls"

Obviously you've never used Kinect. After the initial coolness of the voice controlling the dashboard wore off I disconnected mine. Still playing Zelda Skyward sword, though. But then again, I'm older now and I no longer need to "diss" Nintendo to get my "hAr3c0r3 gAm3rz cArD" renewed every year.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]It's weird, on the n64, nintendo were leading the hardware department while maintaining the old console nostalgia.It's been terribly downhill since then. The wii was no better than the gamecube. This new one won't even trouble the HD on tv's probably.Not to mention, the kinect wipes the floor with the wii controls.Just another nintendo gimmick. The n64 (despite it's horrendous early pricing) was the last peak of nintendo imo.[/citation]
but Look at where top hardware gets console makers. Not very good sales and taking a loss.
Sony's Playstation was more successful in sales than N64. the graphics were shit.
Sony's PS2 was more successful than the more powerful Xbox and Gamecube.
Sony for some reason broke that winning strategy with the PS3, and look, lowest sales amongst this generation, while Nintendo took a Cue from sony and released an innovative platform that didnt need graphics to be popular.
Businesses are for-profit. and Nintendo innovates and takes risk.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Nintendo needs to ramp-up their graphics department.Kiddie looking games are soooo 1990's...All those 90's kids grew up and are playign Xbox/Playstation now.And how many times do we need a game with Mario and Luigi jumping on turtle shells?[/citation]
Graphics don't make the game, gameplay makes the game. You forget the Wii was a smashing success for its innovation. Remember that Microsoft and Sony came out with their own versions of motion gaming as well to emulate the success of Nintendo's.

How many times do we neeed a game with Mario and Luigi? Well as many times as needed provided they remain popular. I don't need to always sit down with "Realistic effects and shooting nazis every night" Sometimes it's fun to guide mario in a fictional world where conventional physics are turned upside down. I enjoyed Super Mario Bros, and I continue to enjoy Super Mario Galaxy as well. they're good games, and remain hot sellers.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I can't believe they're still selling 10 million Wiis / year. Who is buying these? I know a bunch of people that own them but I don't think any of them have played them 6+ months let alone bought any new games.[/citation]

I raise my hand sir. I bought one, and i personally enjoy it like i enjoy my xbox 360. it's not for everyone.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Nintendo needs to ramp-up their graphics department.Kiddie looking games are soooo 1990's...All those 90's kids grew up and are playign Xbox/Playstation now.And how many times do we need a game with Mario and Luigi jumping on turtle shells?[/citation]
as long as the platforming is good (it always is) FOREVER
and i never liked photo realism... it kind of kills creativity but it has its place.
so long as nintendo can get ports of big games, it will be the system to own.

[citation][nom]ivan1984[/nom]The controller just doesn't look comfortable.[/citation]

you have to hold it... they shaped the back to have grips that from every place i read have said, were really comfortable in their hands.

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I don't think ANYONE is anxiously awaiting this. The only people excited are Nintendo and a few reporters perhaps motivated by Nintendo, if you catch my drift.[/citation]

im excited, because i am imagining everything that they could do with a tablet screen. i doubt even half will happen, but if they manage to make it an invintory or even just have the stats on the games there (raceing game, have a clean screen, need to look down to see speed) and all that other crap... i am holding out hope that they dont make it just a map.

[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]In my view, there's just too many competing hardware platforms these days for Nintendo to hold a strong hardware market position. I don't see them making the right moves and I think they'll follow Sega's course in the next 5 years or so.[/citation]

sega had FAR to many problems with its systems (at one point manufacturing 7 at the same time) nintendo wont die due to hardware alone, and can survive on just the people who want the core nintendo games if they have to coast a few years.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I can't believe they're still selling 10 million Wiis / year. Who is buying these? I know a bunch of people that own them but I don't think any of them have played them 6+ months let alone bought any new games.[/citation]

i play my wii on a yearly basis, granted if i can emulate the games i doo because i can play them in higher resolutions that way, and use my good monitor. but i play the nintendo first party and intresting 3rd party games i find.

[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]It's weird, on the n64, nintendo were leading the hardware department while maintaining the old console nostalgia.It's been terribly downhill since then. The wii was no better than the gamecube. This new one won't even trouble the HD on tv's probably.Not to mention, the kinect wipes the floor with the wii controls.Just another nintendo gimmick. The n64 (despite it's horrendous early pricing) was the last peak of nintendo imo.[/citation]
i was wondering if you were serious till i got to the kinect, wow, good joke there, you almost got me...

what nintendo realized is that you dont need great graphics to make a great game, and decided to bow out of the sony/360 bigger dick contest that was last gen where they sold systems at massive losses to push hardware or push a format.

the new console has enough power behind it to be great, and the next 360 is reportedly only 20% stronger than it... lets put it this way, ay a 60fps game, that would be another 12 frames per second... go into setting on your current games that can run over 72fps at 1080p on the pc, tweak it to be 72fps, and than tweek it till its 60fps, and tell me if you notice much of a difference.

[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]I'm actually looking forward to seeing/hearing more about this. I have all 3 consoles but Xbox/PS3 have no real differentiation, and just keep rehashing the same ol' when it comes to games. Granted, it's the game developers that are doing the rehashing, but still. I never thought I'd say it, but I'd rather game on my iPhone than on my consoles. If anyone's going to lure me back to my TV to play video games it's probably going to be Nintendo.Wow, I think I'm officially old now.[/citation]

i love rouge likes, rpgs (western), and indi games... so im more on the pc, but yea, very few games on the consoles are stand outs that are different from each other, and i also own most of those too... so long as they fit into my tastes.

[citation][nom]notanidiot[/nom]".Sorry Nintendo, but I'm not interested in a gimmicky gadget that tries to be a game system." Yeah lets stay with a ten year old control system and only innovate graphics! I mean **** gameplay we need redundent mediocrity![/citation]

that a bash on current consoles and pc people complain about stale graphics and no game play innovations or a bash on nintendo for just upping the graphics and keeping weird game play?

im with you if its a bash on the graphics or nothing people, against you if its the nintendo bash.

[citation][nom]belawrence[/nom]"At least another 478 titles, just to be sure, with plenty of cross-over like "Donkey Kong Zelda Kart vs Sonic & Mario"At least the next generation is going to begin as I'm getting tired of playing the current stream of "Grand Metal Gear Halos of War Solid Fantasy" and all of the prequels and sequels."Sorry Nintendo, but I'm not interested in a gimmicky gadget that tries to be a game system."See: Kinect & PS3 Move."Not to mention, the kinect wipes the floor with the wii controls"Obviously you've never used Kinect. After the initial coolness of the voice controlling the dashboard wore off I disconnected mine. Still playing Zelda Skyward sword, though. But then again, I'm older now and I no longer need to "diss" Nintendo to get my "hAr3c0r3 gAm3rz cArD" renewed every year.[/citation]

the wii mote holding the camera itself was a bad idea, the life in those things is pathetic. and the game play with them... at best is glitchy... but i still like it...

im hoping for a game that uses the wii mote on your head for an awesome 3d experience. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]but Look at where top hardware gets console makers. Not very good sales and taking a loss.Sony's Playstation was more successful in sales than N64. the graphics were shit. Sony's PS2 was more successful than the more powerful Xbox and Gamecube.Sony for some reason broke that winning strategy with the PS3, and look, lowest sales amongst this generation, while Nintendo took a Cue from sony and released an innovative platform that didnt need graphics to be popular. Businesses are for-profit. and Nintendo innovates and takes risk. Graphics don't make the game, gameplay makes the game. You forget the Wii was a smashing success for its innovation. Remember that Microsoft and Sony came out with their own versions of motion gaming as well to emulate the success of Nintendo's.How many times do we neeed a game with Mario and Luigi? Well as many times as needed provided they remain popular. I don't need to always sit down with "Realistic effects and shooting nazis every night" Sometimes it's fun to guide mario in a fictional world where conventional physics are turned upside down. I enjoyed Super Mario Bros, and I continue to enjoy Super Mario Galaxy as well. they're good games, and remain hot sellers. I raise my hand sir. I bought one, and i personally enjoy it like i enjoy my xbox 360. it's not for everyone.[/citation]

sony won with the ps1 because it was disc based, and far cheaper to produce a game than the nintendo

ps2 won because it was many of our first dvd players, had full backwards compatibility, and had the franchises from the ps1 go to the ps2.

the ps3 lost because it was an initial 600$ and came a year later than everything else. most ps2 owners had a 360 by this point.

over all, i would say the ps3 won because its not only a bluray player, it also has the better and more diverse exclusive games, where as the 360 is fps of the month, and 3rdps of the month, and also has a user upgrade able storage solution. where as the 360 has... well... overpriced crap.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

The N64 was priced under the PS1 on launch and did a lot more. How was that horrendous?

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom sega had FAR to many problems with its systems (at one point manufacturing 7 at the same time) nintendo wont die due to hardware alone, and can survive on just the people who want the core nintendo games if they have to coast a few years.

Sega is still making games as is Atari. I'm sure Nintendo will still be making games for quite a long time. What I'm suggesting is the hardware market is highly saturated (multiple consoles, smart phones, computers, and on and on) and Nintendo is already showing signs of struggling with hardware sales. I just am not sure if the hardware side of their business can retain itself much longer, and then, they would transition to a software company.

tjedwards93

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
lol. kinect sucks dick. plus, the wii u supports all types of hd. even 1080p.

born in 1993 and still plays nintendo. Im also not a console war my wise and beautiful friend. if you were a real gamer you would play them all.

you all are faggots

Status
Not open for further replies.