Nintendo Confirms Wii U Launch Titles, Including Mass Effect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Nintendo needs to just shut up and take my money. By this point in my life, with nearly a dozen Nintendo consoles under my belt, I'm well past the point of doubting whatever madness they're deciding to unleash upon the world. My Game Boy, Gamecube, DS, Wii, and 3DS have all recieved more of my time than any of their respective competitors, and there's no reason at all for me to doubt that the Wii U will do the same exact thing.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]Nintendo needs to just shut up and take my money. By this point in my life, with nearly a dozen Nintendo consoles under my belt, I'm well past the point of doubting whatever madness they're deciding to unleash upon the world. My Game Boy, Gamecube, DS, Wii, and 3DS have all recieved more of my time than any of their respective competitors, and there's no reason at all for me to doubt that the Wii U will do the same exact thing.[/citation]
You're a customer, not a zealot. To blindly follow a corporation is no different to fanatically following a religion; it defies all common sense and at the end of it, you're no richer.
As with all religious zealots the question that has to be asked is, is sheer faith perpetuating you or are you speaking the truth? Do you have more fun with the Wii then the 360/PS3 or does bias, instead of the actual games, play a large role?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Look I respect Nintendo but the Wii U is stupid plain and simple. First of all, the games it's launching with came out half a decade ago. The majority are rehashes of already existing games. And then it features a stupid tablet function. IT'S NOT EVEN MULTI-TOUCH. What can you accomplish with it? Swiping your finger to move a pointer. Why don't you just use a mouse? Cheaper, more accurate.Sorry but there's so many wasted resources in this it's disheartening. The money poured into having a touch-display built into a controller (which also requires beefier batteries upon many things) could have better been spent on a more powerful GPU/CPU, more RAM, redesigned controller without a stupid touch screen. There could have been so many improvements.Dreamcast 2012: Touch![/citation]
First of all, nothing on that list came out half a decade ago. Second of all, pretty sure the touch screen is going to do more than move a cursor around. Why not use a mouse instead? Well it would be a bit uncomfortable holding a controller and mouse at the same time. Oh, you meant use it with a keyboard? Well the thing is, console gamers prefer gamepads to KB/mouse, otherwise they'd probably be using them instead. It isn't as if current consoles don't all have USB ports, including the Wii. It isn't as if they couldn't allow the user to plug their KB/Mouse in, if they chose to support that feature. Not going to debate the differences between PC controls and console controls. The customer they're seling to doesn't want a mouse
Your whole Dreamcast analogy is quite interesting too, as if people haven't been saying that since the Wii U was announced. Too bad it's an incorrect analogy. DC was a good system that with the proper support could have survived. SATURN sunk Sega and left them in a position where they couldn't support a console war and made the wise decision to get out while the getting was good. Nintendo on the other hand is coming off of one of the most profitable systems ever. Wii U could totally bomb and they'd still be able to continue doing business.
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]You're right, the next evolutionary step for Mass Effect is becoming like Dance Central 2.HDR, Tessellation, and Environments that change and react in real-time are a thing of the past.See, instead of pressing a button, I'd much rather say a phrase and wave my arms to accomplish the exact same thing.[/citation]
The thing is...people play games other than FPS. For some games it is more enjoyable to say a phrase or flail around rather than push a button. Eventually you will have to stop clinging to your keyboard and mouse as if it's the most perfect control device ever to be created. That kind of thinking would have led to the mouse never even existing. You can after all control Windows without a mouse. Some people are still more comfortable using key shortcuts rather than clicking.
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]BS.It says Mass Effect, not Mass Effect 3. Even if it is Mass Effect 3 it'll be 10 months old when the system is released, almost a year. Not 3 months. Going by your claims the game isn't even out yet.Multi-Touch CONFIRMED not in system. Get your facts straight.Trine 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3? I hope you're not serious. The most powerful console? It barely beats systems released 7 years ago.[/citation]
You can thank Tom's for that, most other sites have it correctly listed as ME3. As stupid as it is to release a sequel without the earlier chapters, Nintendo is not the one publishing it. They could always release the older chapters or even a trilogy package. Fun fact though, ME1 isn't out for the ps3 either, so the whole idea that having the entire saga on the system is necessary already falls flat.
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Do you have more fun with the Wii then the 360/PS3 or does bias, instead of the actual games, play a large role?[/citation]
There is a bias on all sides. Ask yourself this however, who has truly tried to bring innovation and focused on the gaming aspect of the industry? MS sees the XBox as a cheap, dedicated PC and Sony sees the PS3 as a media player that just happens to play games. Only Nintendo is trying to put out a device who's primary function is playing games. Their gimmicks have broadened the gaming audience and brought joy to far more people. I'm not saying they aren't out to make a profit, but Nintendo's goal is to genuinely provide fun to the player. MS and Sony just want to wow you for the moment with amazing graphics. If you want the best quality graphics, you aren't getting it anywhere but PC. Many also flock to XBox and PS because of the 3rd party titles, but they'd be nothing without them. Devs don't like having to write special control schemes, they just want to port the same thing over to all systems. Unfortunately the people who aren't trying new things are the ones that win 3rd party titles.

Anyway, I'm neither wowed nor disappointed in the launch titles. It's nice to have Mario at launch again, haven't had that since n64. Scribblenauts and the Zombi one might be interesting titles. I also remember back in the n64 days, the best early titles weren't exactly the hyped ones. Give me something like Blast Corps/Body Harvest again.

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The positive thing i saw from the U was the ability to play your game on your pad while someone else uses the tv to say, watch tv. When i was younger i had a smaller tv off to the side just to play games, so i think thats a positive to the tablet controller. Also i do like to note that haveing invintory or even the map (lego city) on the pad is good so i don't have to have an overlay up or stop and check the map taking me from a game.

Now for the other stuff, I hate tablets, and the WII U is a step in the wrong direction for gaming. Some people on here clame it to be "the most powerful system" well untill I see anything from it like half of what we saw from PS3 (LoU, Beyond) then PS3 is still the "more powerful system"

And 360 needs to get its head out of its ass when it comes to trying to link everything. That is stupid, and needs to die.

On a whole, PS3 "won" E3 mostly cuz of Ubisoft, Going into the Nintendo con. I felt that the Wii U had no hope, now i feel it does for a market, but not really mine. (although the controller is finally big enough for my hands XD) and 360 tanked for me other then the south park game which may also suck.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I’m definitely no fanboy. I’m an old school gamer I’ll play games on any console or a PC if it’s something I enjoy. I grew up during the birth of the video game era, my very first console was the Sears/Atari Tele-Games Pong Sports IV, and it only played 1 game…Pong! I have witnessed its crash and rebirth by the hands of Nintendo. What a lot of you fanboys don’t realize or care about is the fact that without Nintendo you wouldn’t have your fancy Xbox’s or PS3’s. Also a lot of the game companies that are around today would not be here if it weren’t for Nintendo, Sega, and of course the PC! The touch pad on the Wii U is one of the most innovative controllers to date. Before that we had the roller ball (Centipede), Mouse, Analog stick (thank the N64 for adding it to controllers), motion controls (again thank Nintendo). Nintendo introduces touch screen and who follows them…oh yah that would be Microsoft. Who introduced Motion controls Nintendo, who followed them? Sony and Microsoft did. Who cares if some of the games listed as coming out for the console are already out for other systems, at least you know what the new console is capable of graphics wise, which the old Wii was never capable of producing.

FPS games aren’t the only games people like to play, see Sports, RPG’s, Sts, Simulators, Action, platform shooter. Can you not see uses for a second screen!? Sports games you could have a play book on your touch pad where the other player could not see it, this brings a sense of realism to the games. Aliens, anyone remember in the second movie 1 guy had a tracking sensor while the other marines had guns, this could work with the new game both with friends and solo, you could have the sensor on the pad and not need to switch to it on screen, just glance down. RTS games you could have a map of your base and be able to quickly increase units being produced, or go to other portions of the map without the need to scroll around. There’s a lot of use for this new controller. I don’t like tablets either but I can see uses for this in games which some of you can’t, either because you’re fanboys of the Xbox or PS3, or you’re die hard PC fans. Don’t get me wrong I love gaming on a PC, you can do so much more with it, but sometimes I just want to play a game and not be bothered by all the stuff that’s loaded on my PC.

Until the system is actually launched I’ll take all these rumors about its specs with a grain of salt. Because rumors are exactly that, they’re rumors they’re not actual facts! Same goes for the next generation Microsoft and Sony consoles.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Many announced games are based on the Unreal engine, so for a company making quick cash for pressing the "Port to WiiU" button makes economic sense.

Finaly consolers will understated the deligths of 1080P gaming and maxed effects.Something so far reserved for pc owners.

As for the control; let's wait and see. I was a old school PC gamer but now, I skip any game that do not support the xbox360 controller, including ME and Bioshock 2.

The jury is still out,let's try the tablet by ourselfs then opine.

Status
Not open for further replies.