Nintendo Dodges $21M Patent Infringement Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I think this is just more patent whoring.
It's like if scissors were patented, and everything that had a similar design infringed on that patent (or functioned in a remotely similar way). Some of this stuff is just stupid.

G

I always love hearing news about how some obscure patent troll got owned in court.

kelewan

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I think this is just more patent whoring.It's like if scissors were patented, and everything that had a similar design infringed on that patent (or functioned in a remotely similar way). Some of this stuff is just stupid.[/citation]

+10

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Lucky for Nintendo Sony made the Dual Shock Six Axis Controller in 1998 which basically made the Anascape 2000 patent invalid due to obvious prior art in 1998. I think companies should be able to sue the patent office when they allow a patent for something that already has prior art.

G

DIGIEX -

That's ridiculous. The patent was ruled INVALID. So NO ONE infringes it.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]MS is guilty that's why it settled, Nintendo knows that it is not guilty, that is why it kept on fighting.[/citation]
It settled for the same reason large companies frequently settle against NPEs (patent trolls). It's usually far cheaper to settle than fight it, considering you're facing an uphill battle in the eastern judicial district of Texas and usually have to appeal after losing to get a more favorable location (generally California) to get the ruling overturned, like Nintendo had to.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Granted they dodged it, but it doesn't disclose how much MS spent to settle out of court.

4 years of legal battles might have ended up costing Nintendo more than MS's out of court settlement.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dwt1776[/nom]DIGIEX -That's ridiculous. The patent was ruled INVALID. So NO ONE infringes it.[/citation]
That's information after the fact. What DIGIEX was saying was that at the time, Microsoft considered the patent valid and knew they were infringing on it. Nintendo never considered the patent valid and fought it in court. Just because the patent was overturned doesn't mean Microsoft copied the technology, it just means the law absolved them of any legal responsibility after the fact.

shakari

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Granted they dodged it, but it doesn't disclose how much MS spent to settle out of court.4 years of legal battles might have ended up costing Nintendo more than MS's out of court settlement.[/citation]

Sure it might have cost them a bit more than MS, but they can safley say that they didnt infringe on the patent. I guess its more to do with the honor thing that the Japs like and respect alot more than most other places.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Nintendo likely all ready own most patents related to game controllers given how long they've seen around it's fairly reasonable to assume at least.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I think this is just more patent whoring.It's like if scissors were patented, and everything that had a similar design infringed on that patent (or functioned in a remotely similar way). Some of this stuff is just stupid.[/citation]
[citation][nom]kelewan[/nom]+10[/citation]
+999999999

Status
Not open for further replies.