Nintendo DSi Launches, Sony Unimpressed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
This is not the headline I expected! I thought Sony was going to be all "Wow! Nintendo just released the new DSi, and it totally rocks a lot of sock. We're not even sure why people still purchase our product when their's is just so much better!"

I still have DS phat, and I'm not going to buy anything new while it still works.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]It's because they do.[/citation]

Well the customers don't seem to think so and they have voted in overwhelming numbers.

Better hardware != better system. You would think the last place PS3 with its bundle of technological wonders would have taught the Sony fanboys some humility but I suppose not. It isn't all about graphics and never was.

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
DS nontheless is a good gaming handheld console. Unlike home console, handheld console doesn't require top class graphics. But DSI is unnecessary, it is one more gimmick for money. But I like SD card slot. It is only matter of time before it is getting hacked.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
"Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm"

OK, I'm no DS "fanboy"; I've played my daughter's a handful of times (the flashcards are so great!)but how can they even say this?
DS has Guitar Hero, many Final Fantasy Games, Assassin's Creed, and Hannah Montana; so what was their point. No they don't have LBP or Motorstorm, but they have Mario and a crap load of somewhat comparable racing games. I'm not impressed by the new DSi either, but I don't think Sony should have made such a dumb statement.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]It's because they do.[/citation]

I agree they do have the better console and handheld when it comes to hardware and capabilities but that means nothing if it can't appeal to people as much as the competitors products. Nintendo's products may not personally appeal to you and they don't even appeal to me to be honest but we clearly have the lesser popular opinion. In a business point of view Nintendo clearly made the superior choices.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Sony's systems are definitely better than Nintendo's systems, but they also cost more. Nintendo is outselling it's competitors because it has the cheapest systems, not because it has the best systems or the best games. Nintendo started falling behind in features with the Gamecube, the only game system of it's generation that couldn't play DVDs. With the Wii, Nintendo also fell behind in Visual Quality as it is the only non-HD game system of it's generation. These decisions allowed Nintendo to make less expensive systems, which is why they are selling so well, but cheaper doesn't mean better.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Sony's systems are definitely better than Nintendo's systems, but they also cost more. Nintendo is outselling it's competitors because it has the cheapest systems, not because it has the best systems or the best games. Nintendo started falling behind in features with the Gamecube, the only game system of it's generation that couldn't play DVDs. With the Wii, Nintendo also fell behind in Visual Quality as it is the only non-HD game system of it's generation. These decisions allowed Nintendo to make less expensive systems, which is why they are selling so well, but cheaper doesn't mean better.[/citation]

Better graphics doesn't mean better either. I'd rather have my 360 and good looking games, but about anyone else in my family would rather play the Wii; they don't care about graphics. They want something they can pick up and play and have a "socially" good time. Sure the Wii is cheaper than a PS3, but even if a PS3 was cheaper than a Wii, a lot of people would still choose the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.