Nintendo, EA, Others Vanish From SOPA Supporter List

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
SOPA is not going to work and slowly some of the players begin to realize that it could actually cost them business instead of increasing revenue. Many talks at the end.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
SOPA is very very bad.

Trolls can go to a site, like this one - post a link to a pirate site... then no more tomshardware.

And with smaller sites, that is even far more dangerous. Hey, wouldn't that include facebook if its users post a link or talk about piracy?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
However still backing the bill are the likes of BMI, Comcast/NBC Universal, Time Warner, EMI Music Publishing, L'Oreal, Marvel Entertainment, the MPAA, and even Sony Music.

Noted, you wont ever see me as a customer ever again.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
we don't need to rely on anonymous we can all start boycotting legal film and music downloads, stop buying music cancel netflix spend more time on the internet and less time with music, films and television.

punching these companies in the wallet will destroy their arguement for sopa and soon change their mind.

phil8192

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Sony Music backs SOPA? Isn't this the same outfit that put rootkits on music CDs in criminal fashion and hosed tens of thousands of computers that didn't belong to them? Tsk, tsk.

phil8192

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Another thing I didn't know until now, that those companies supported SOPA. What's wrong with their minds?[/citation]

The problem is CEOs who turn lawyers loose on the problem. Unfortunately, lawyers are trained to find problems, not solve problems.

Lefturn

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Let's take a look at what's really happening here: These companies are simply afraid of the implications of publicly supporting SOPA. They saw what happened to GoDaddy and they're trying to avoid becoming the next target of the anti-SOPA activists. There is no doubt in my mind that they still support SOPA under the table. They are just removing "public" support.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
If this bill passes, the first thing that is going to go up is Anti-SOPA public DNS servers... Just like using 4.2.2.2 as your DNS, there will be public DNS servers that either omit the information from the SOPA blacklists, or they will actively use it as a reference of what's currently blocked so they know what to push through to the direct IP of the source manually.

That and I'd also be willing to bet Google and Mozilla (probably not Microsoft) will build anti-SOPA plugins directly into their browsers making them automatically recognize when you try to access a page that has been blacklisted - and redirect you to the source IP address instead using said public DNS servers.

Sure, this will cause a bit of a headache for a while, but let's not forget, we live in a time where if you want it bad enough, no government can keep you out.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Anyone who actually thinks this is about stopping downloaders/content sharers are deluding themselves. Out of the big infringers (torrent and Usenet users), not all are "techy" but most are computer savvy enough to Google their issue and follow directions. There will be simple 5 minute How-To's on the Internet on how to circumvent US DNS servers, rendering moot any attempt to stop piracy on a large scale.

The companies that support this know this. They aren't out to stop pirates, they are out to stifle competition. When big corporations have the power to shut down any website they deem "infringing on their copyrights", all hell breaks loose. Is a small or medium sized business starting to gain traction in your arena of business? Slap them with a SOPA charge and get their website stricken from the Internet. By the time the infringement is proven false, if it ever does since most small and medium sized businesses don't have the legal teams to even begin to fight such a charge, the business' reputation is irreparably damaged from having their website down for a year. The big corporation says sorry and pays their $500K fine for a false accusation, smiling to themselves as another competitor has been destroyed for a very meager sum of money.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]TehGoldenRule[/nom]I don't support SOPA but hypocritical Google imposes SOPA on its users by requiring us to use real names, impeding our right to truly free speech and stomping on the primacy of the individual. Google wants its cake and eat it to. You and me are the cake and we are being eaten.Google doesn't want to have to police its search results or who it sells ads to because of the enormous burden it would place on the very technology a search engine uses yet they have no problem imposing an enormous burden on its users who are forced to self-censor their true thoughts and freedom of speech and expression when posting how they really feel about issues.I want the good with the bad. I want meaningful discourse. I want to relinquish the chains of injustice and free information from its imprisonment. You can't do that with big brother, big employer, or some psycho who doesn't agree with you being able to stalk you in real life by doing a simple Bing search of your real name.[/citation]

I think you're a bit of a hypocrite yourself. You state that you want meaningful discourse yet you want to remain completely anonymous robbing the person on the other side of the conversation the ability to gauge your creditability. The internet is full of meaningless discourse because a plumber who watches enough Law and Order (damn I just violated SOPA) to sound insightful can masquerade as a creditable law professional due to his anonymous screen name. It is likely that, just as this conversation is, you have had thousands of meaningless online conversations because neither member of the conversation has any creditability.

Personally I believe that you enjoy being able to shoot your mouth off to any one you want knowing you will never be held accountable for your words. That isn't discourse, sure you can express exactly how your feel but only as a coward hiding behind the confines of the internet. I really don't mean to sound as insulting as this post will undoubtedly come across and it's not like I am not guilty, but google's request would bring more useful discourse and stop a lot of meaningless arguments.

With all that said SOPA may be the worst piece of legislation since the Patriot act and demonstrates the old adage of paving the road to hell with good intentions.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If SOPA is passed, I highly recommend everyone start a blog and copyright its contents, then have their friends post hyperlinks to their blog's on all of the supporters websites, then have them taken down for copyright infringement.

What's louder, NBC filing a take down for google's seach results of SNL, or a million people filing a take down of NBC for hosting links to copyrighted material without consent?

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]xythrax4420[/nom]China and Iran liked SOPA on their facebook pages[/citation]

This comment made my day!!! +1

Status
Not open for further replies.