Nintendo Profits Fall for the First Time in Six Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
After 6 years of increasing profits it's not extraordinary that profit goes down. $2.4 billion of profit is still a looot of money.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jorberg[/nom]Uh....if a company is posting a profit how is that bad news?[/citation]
Because it'll make nintendo stocks drop. Even if a company is profitable, but not as profitable as analysts hoped, it'll drop the stock price. Much the same line of reasoning that causes a company's stock to go up if it's losing less money than analysts hoped.

G

Not surprised. Maybe they shouldn't have announced SEVERAL handhelds (DSI, DSI XL, 3DS) within a 1.5 year span, all the while keeping the console at high price.
I think the biggest issue: No Pokemans, no sales. Every new platform had a shiny new game to go along with it, except these most recent ones. It's just an observation.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]Sorry for the double post. Don't have time to figure the edit.Did not like link so here it is.http://www.dump.com/?x=0&y=0&s=nintendo[/citation]

You know, I can't find the edit link/button anymore under
"Read the comments on the forums"

Did I miss a memo?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Yeah, not much from Nintendo lately but I know Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be comming out soon and so is the new Metroid they are working on. The next Zelda is also being made as well. I don't know how soon these games will be release but typically Nintendo makes top rated games that sell well over 1 million copies. I don't expect their profits to dip for very long.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
...until the 3DS comes out.

then nintendo will be able to sit around for another 4-6 years and rake in huge profits out of their cheap-to-make but hot-selling console...

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]...until the 3DS comes out.then nintendo will be able to sit around for another 4-6 years and rake in huge profits out of their cheap-to-make but hot-selling console...[/citation]

The key to making a profit on game consoles is to make the consoles affordable and the games fun to play. Console manufactures rarely make profit on consoles until near the end of the console's life (or probably never in the case of the PS3), most of their profits come from game sales and licensing fees.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
um okay. I can't feel sorry for them or even the smallest iota of concern for their share holders mainly because they still turned over 2 billion in profits. I was happy when I had $50 extra after paying bills last week.

G

What does nintendo expect? Everyone owns a ds and or wii already.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey this is the first step toward Nintendo going into the red.
Which needs to happen unless they start cultivating good 3rd party games on their platform!

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
The Wii has some great first party titles.
It also has some awful third party titles.
The Black Wii is a sign of lower profits. Nintendo should start figuring out how they can keep their market dominance for the next generation of consoles.

geforcepat09

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Because it'll make nintendo stocks drop. Even if a company is profitable, but not as profitable as analysts hoped, it'll drop the stock price. Much the same line of reasoning that causes a company's stock to go up if it's losing less money than analysts hoped.[/citation]
LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS