Nintendo Ships 50m Wiis; Stays King of Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
ahh! yes all the great and powerful condoles out there with the least powerful one beating out the PS3 and crash box 360. if the wii has crappy games then i wonder why people are still buying it wouldn't you think word of mouth about something like that would make them not buy one?

G

Haahah me too! Mario Galaxy is the only good game on Wii, oh and wii sports, but that doesn't count :D PC Gaming FTW

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
XBox and PS have hype, but they lack innovation. They're just PCs in fancy packaging. Nintendo has always been about the brand and experience. Create fun games most people (apparently not sezyboy) want to play. The new controllers, the "get off your ass and play" philosophy, its all something Nintendo banked on, while Microsoft and Sony were just putting fancier graphics without any change to the gameplay. XBox and PS3 appeal to hardcore gamers, Wii appeals to families, couples, grandparents, kids, a much wider range.

No, it hasn't always worked for Nintendo (virtual-boy, power-glove, etc...), but its good to see them back in the game. After the Gamecube, it was looking a little iffy for them (not that Pokemon alone couldn't keep them afloat if necessary).

sezyboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
sure if you like captaincharisma you can continue, but really, old retro games can be played on emulators, guitar hero is available on every platform, smash bros is not much better than the previous ones, my personal opinion is zelda is average... Now paper mario is kind of fun yes.

there are only a handful that I enjoyed on the Wii, and thanks to my friends owning Wiis and renting the games, I get to try a lot of them. Oh and I did buy one a while back, gave it to one of my friends.

sezyboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]XBox and PS have hype, but they lack innovation. They're just PCs in fancy packaging. Nintendo has always been about the brand and experience. Create fun games most people (apparently not sezyboy) want to play. The new controllers, the "get off your ass and play" philosophy, its all something Nintendo banked on, while Microsoft and Sony were just putting fancier graphics without any change to the gameplay. XBox and PS3 appeal to hardcore gamers, Wii appeals to families, couples, grandparents, kids, a much wider range.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you are right on the fact that the other 2 consoles are pretty much hype. PS3 and XBox360 are PC wannabes while Wii is a tamagotchi on crack.

Also, im not the type to be impressed by graphics if the game blows goats. Hell i still play MOO2 and Xcom, etc.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
But what about Sony?

I had to ask, it seems like it should be the obligatory question to any article on the Wii or Xbox 360.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Wii looks good in bars and clubs or in my grandparents' hands.:)

Man, those drunken nights working my happy hands on tennis before picking up a chick.... Good times....

No, but seriously Wii is good in terms of innovation that it has brought to the living rooms (and in the bars!). I love all the 3 consoles, but as mentioned by someone else, Xbox 360 and PS3 are just PC wannabes. They offer nothing new in the games except fancy graphics and sequel games, but Wii gives you an exercise for your money.

P.S. PC gaming FTW.....

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Mario Kart Wii. Super Smash Bros Brawl. Super Mario Galaxy. Only games worth owning.

I wonder what the software attachment rate for the Wii is. If they don't count the hand-me-out games I can't imagine it being higher than three.

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
kudos for nintendo, They brought up again the definition of gaming, most gamers today are blinded by fancy graphics and non-sense sequels

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Nintendo stated that its customers normally buy only a couple of games (which is strange if they are so great) that's why they have to also get profit from the console itself (both sony and microsoft lose money)

I seriously considered buying Wii with Wii Fit, but graphics of this console is simply insulting. I am amazed that this ohsonot21thcentury piece of hardware outsells ps3/xbox360. Is it because of the: "if you don't own this gadget, you're a toothless hillbilly, living in a hillbilly shack somewhere" concept? :))) (I am refering to this http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of )

lordwyrd

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Madworld is sweet, Boom Blox is wicked fun... Yes the graphics are nothing spectacular, but the innovation that Nintendo's console brings to the table is much needed... There are definitely flashy games all over the place but nothing really new.

I always end up back at CS:S and Warcraft 3 anyway.

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Who cares about graphics? Why do you people even play games? I find it funny that someone on another article brought up the fact that PS3 is nearly a PC while Wii is just a toy. Really? No sh*t, that's what games are for, fun. If I ever feel the need for fancy graphics I'll play games on the PC or watch a movie. Otherwise whats the point of consoles if they don't provide a newer unique experience for the whole family??(particularly in the fun department.) Sometimes toys are the most cherished things when you're alone.

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Also to those who say they can simply download older games appearing on the virtual console on emulators, I say this>
What if I want the producer of said games to make more or come out with similar projects? Downloading on an emulator is certainly not a way to tell them. Voting with my money on the other hand might make them look into why a game is so popular and maybe encourage them to make a sequel or remake, maybe even something the same vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.