News Nintendo Switch 2 price just tipped — and it could be a game changer

Aug 12, 2023
If this is true, they are competing with pricing on the Steamdeck and the ROG Ally and taking them as serious competition. If the OG Switch is going to continue to receive support through the eShop while the Switch2 ramps up, the pricing makes sense IMHO. But the question begs, if its 399 for a complete setup what about a 'console only' release so existing switch owners only need to upgrade the core system and keep the accessories? Assuming things like the JoyCons will work with the new revision.

If Nintendo keeps a closed ecosystem going as they have with the current switch, I can't honestly say I will be buying a switch2 over an Ally at this point. Even at the 150-250 additional cost. Having the ability to connect to my gaming PC from the switch(CFW) has been an absolute game changer for all sorts of things, having access to a functioning browser, netflix, disney+, and Hulu(already part of the ecosystem) is a must have moving forward or I am just not interested in continuing with Nintendo past the OG swtich.

Zero-0

Prominent
Apr 17, 2022
If it's not 4K, I'm not wasting my money. Games look terrible on my TV on the current Switch, even an upscaler can't make it look fairly decent. And they don't look much better natively on it's own screen, either. Anything else would be a rip-off, Nintendo isn't full of pixel games anymore and they need to recognize that and catch up with everything else out right now.

Aug 12, 2023
If this is true, they are competing with pricing on the Steamdeck and the ROG Ally and taking them as serious competition. If the OG Switch is going to continue to receive support through the eShop while the Switch2 ramps up, the pricing makes sense IMHO. But the question begs, if its 399 for a complete setup what about a 'console only' release so existing switch owners only need to upgrade the core system and keep the accessories? Assuming things like the JoyCons will work with the new revision.

If Nintendo keeps a closed ecosystem going as they have with the current switch, I can't honestly say I will be buying a switch2 over an Ally at this point. Even at the 150-250 additional cost. Having the ability to connect to my gaming PC from the switch(CFW) has been an absolute game changer for all sorts of things, having access to a functioning browser, netflix, disney+, and Hulu(already part of the ecosystem) is a must have moving forward or I am just not interested in continuing with Nintendo past the OG swtich.
Why even consider a Switch 2 if you are more concerned about it's streaming capabilities whether video stream or PC stream through CFW if you don't care about 1st party games? Seems like the Ally is a better fit for you.

Aug 12, 2023
$399 Will not work for the Next Version of the Nintendo Switch. This is what I suggest. $399 for Pro level 4K30-60fps with Nintendo Pro controller that can compete with the current gen so they don't get left too far behind. Make a Nintendo Switch 2 with at least Sony PS4 Pro or Xbox One X specs for $299. Last would be a Core upgrade system that would upgrade the Dock and Main unit like was mentioned in previous comments. The Core upgrade pack for a loyalty price of $199.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
$399 Will not work for the Next Version of the Nintendo Switch. This is what I suggest. $399 for Pro level 4K30-60fps with Nintendo Pro controller that can compete with the current gen so they don't get left too far behind. Make a Nintendo Switch 2 with at least Sony PS4 Pro or Xbox One X specs for $299. Last would be a Core upgrade system that would upgrade the Dock and Main unit like was mentioned in previous comments. The Core upgrade pack for a loyalty price of $199.
Yeah, none of that is going to happen. If they haven't released a Pro version of the Switch by now then they are not going to release it to compete with the next generation console. It has been said that there were plans to release a Pro but the pandemic happened and that boosted Switch sales immensely. As for the "core" upgrade system, why in the World would they even consider this when they can sell you a whole new unit for more than that and people will pay for it. None of your suggestions make sense.

Aug 14, 2023
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with that pricing. If the successor actually ends up being on par with the PS4, then I am happy to pay the extra $50. I don't need them to do another OLED screen as long as the LCD is solid and not like the OG switch. You can get plenty of vibrant colors with a LCD.

And I truly couldn't care less about 4k resolution. I think it's incredibly overhyped and I am much more interested in 60fps. If that can be achieved with at least the switch first party games I will be more than happy with 1080p 60fps.

Considering how boring this gen has been with PS5 Series X, and how many games have been cross gen there will be plenty to port over to a switch 2 thats a PS4 level power. And we will see what the last 4ish years of the PS5 brings, but so far it has sat pretty dormant most of its life on my shelf.

Aug 12, 2023
Why even consider a Switch 2 if you are more concerned about it's streaming capabilities whether video stream or PC stream through CFW if you don't care about 1st party games? Seems like the Ally is a better fit for you.
It's not about just streaming, its about Nintendo's Ecosystem. But sure, just focus on the streaming bit while ignoring the rest of what I said.

Aug 12, 2023
If it's not 4K, I'm not wasting my money. Games look terrible on my TV on the current Switch, even an upscaler can't make it look fairly decent. And they don't look much better natively on it's own screen, either. Anything else would be a rip-off, Nintendo isn't full of pixel games anymore and they need to recognize that and catch up with everything else out right now.
I think 4K is expecting a bit much from Nintendo. They bought back into the ARM+Nvidia limited garbage and the SOC chosen might struggle at 1440p based on the GPU's silicon age and core count. If Nintendo adopts into USB4 with TB4 support maybe we can see a hybrid GPU+Dock combo, but knowing Nintendo they are planning a 2018 Circa SOC release in 2024...