Nintendo Unveils Wii U Controller, new 3DS Titles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Custom AMD RV770 Chip “WOLF” @ 766Mhz on 32nm process 1398 Gflops"
-So it should be faster than an HD 4870 (750MHz and 1200 Gflops) and will have added features
-Which means it's also faster than an HD 5770
-and faster than a 6770 which has roughly the same performance as the 5770 which is slower than a 4870 which is slower than the GPU in the Wii U.

Wii U > HD 4870 > HD 5770

Plus, you will all have too keep in mind all games will be customized for this exact video card it not like a computer where some people may be able to turn on high end graphical features and some won't. The developers know what they have to work with and will not attempt minor (less noticable) graphical enhancements that will drastically decrease the performance.

Personally I have an HD 4870 in my computer and I've been playing all of the latest games with the eye candy turned up and I'm prefectly happy knowing that the Wii U will be slightly better...

Question:
If you lay your console on your stomach does that mean it's Wii on U?
lol J/K

I was hoping they would just add the famed Ninetendo Entertainment System "NES" so it would be "Wii NES".
lol
Seriously though I think Wii 2 would have been better... Infact I can think of hundreds of names that would have been better...

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]How many times does it need to be pointed out that you cannot compare the specs of a console and a PC as if the performance each gets out of its hardware will be the same? The overhead a console has to overcome is significantly lower than what a PC has to deal with while the console is also designed exclusively to be able to push pixels. It is also important to note that unlike the PC, console developers can try and push the hardware to its max with every game since they don't have to design to a lowest common denominator like they do with a PC. Ever looked into PC console emulation and seen the ridiculous specs it takes to emulate previous generation hardware like the PS2?Will the new Wii be able to play games that look like the Samaritan Demo? Probably not, but neither can a PC, nor will it be able to any time soon. In 2012 I'd be willing to bet that if the Wii U specs are accurate, it will get closer to Samaritan graphics than any PC games will.[/citation]

How will it get closer when that demo was running on DX11 and using new tech when the rumored GPU in the WII U is running on 4000 series custom hardware (DX10)?

G

@gto127

Augmented reality, position the tablet controller to where you think the tennis ball will land and swipe on the screen in the direction you want to hit the ball, it will bring new and novel interaction with the game

Makes the Wii U a dark horse, with good software that can truly exploit it's potential it can be a killer, but if we get shovel ware repeat like the Wii, dont matter how much potential it has it just collect dust, Nintendo needs to get it right this time and stop the shovel ware

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
More like Pii U

no multitouch is lame, not to mention the controller is just that a controller, can't do jack without the console. What is stopping sony from turning the vita into this? nothing. only difference is I can save my game to cloud, leave my house and continue playing, come home and go back to the ps3.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I think people miss one important aspect here - with touchscreen at your hands you have KEYBOARD.
WoWii, here it comes! MMOs on consoles really did not have good chance, and it will change with Wii U.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]1. look at the gflops and compare them to the respective card2[/citation]
Interesting point, but again the HD4890 wasn't based on the rv770, the GPU underwent a hardware revision (rv790) and was clocked significantly higher, ~80MHz+. And it's also important to keep in mind that the Wii U GPU is custom hardware, so if the leak is correct, probably a tweaked version of the rv770.
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm-wZ8u4Yc[/citation]
Ok... not following. Yes, that's Nintendo's not-so impressive real-time E3 tech demo. Nintendo showed off far more impressive real-time demos then that at the show, but if you're somehow trying to suggest that the graphics are comparable to the Samaritan Demo, then I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. The lighting, shaders, geometry complexity, texture resolution, nothing really stood out.

matey

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
WiiU GPU is being worked on as we speak its not finished its being developed along side HD7000 GPU in the same state of the art building its confirmed to be 28nm and only the HD7000 is using 28nm so it points to a custom gpu based of HD7000 maybe a few features from 5000/6000 series but nothing not even AMD's info so far points to a 4000 its a big fat rumour from IGN it holds no truth what so ever everything so far points to a Custon Radeon HD based of the very best graphics AMD has to date isnt 4000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.