Nintendo: We're Not Making a Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I agree with this move. They're a game company. Stick with that. We'll have to wait and see if the Playstation phone does well, but I really don't think that Nintendo should try it. Sony has had experience with making phones, but Nintendo does not.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I agree with you Kevin that Reggie Fils-Aime is out of his mind, but, sell like hotcakes? Not so sure anymore. It would be true a year ago but now? It's too crowded. Why would anyone want another phone? Just to play Mario et al? No, I prefer my emulators. ;)

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
A gamepad should be a phone feature, generically, and then everyone can run any emulator using it. I'd dump a handheld gaming system for that!

technofile

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
It may sell like hotcakes but then what happens when v2 comes out and people are still locked to contracts on the old Nintendo phone. How would you feel if you were locked into an SNES contract with another year to go when N64 just came out. http://ddp.net/jab

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Apple - 50,000 employees
Sony - 168,000 employees
Google - 25,000 employees
Microsoft - 89,000 employees

Nintendo - 4,400 employees

There is a reason Nintendo sticks to what they know and do well. They are a small company compared to those giants. Even if they wanted to go the phone route, they don't have the man power to take on such an endeavor.

G

Can you have someone read over your work before you submit plz.

G

I've noticed that Nintendo sure does like to point out what they won't be doing. It would be nice to hear what they will be doing for a change.

I agree they should stay out of the phone business, though. Why does everything have to be a phone? The telecommunications business is a real mess.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
With the market is being flooded in a plethora of phones and smart phones, I can see why they don't think it is a good idea. I too believe they should stick to what they know - gaming.

You can't really compare WiiWare/DSiWare to AppStore. The target is different. The medium is different. The purpose is different.

And the idea of WiiWare and such is applicable, it is not apps. It's games. Everything is focused on games, no worthless app to waste our time with. I think that's a good thing. In AppStore or Marketplace there's a lot of apps that has many different categories. I agree with what he said as it somehow degrades the game section. How many out of the thousand games are actually real games?

Phones are phones, game console is console. Some things should not be together.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Does nintendo need to make a smartphone? NO. Should they make a gameboy with phone capabilities. Oh, yea... yes, Yup.

I can just see it though in the news a month from now that: "Reggie Fils-Aime steps down as Nintendo America's CEO."

A $200+ Gameboy is a hard sell, especially considering that kindergardners are now getting cell phones from their parents so they can call them. (Emergency phone) They loose them all the time. I find them in the park nearby the local school when I hoof it to a friends house. I just leave them with the school janitors only to find one or two the next day. Make it also a gamby and it'd NEVER get lost. Lol.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I agree with Kevin on this.
But, I must say Microsoft and Sony are hardly putting out gaming phones. Xperia Play offers nothing that wasn't already avalible via emulator, and Windows Phone does little more than let you look at your gamerscore.
We need a real gamer's phone here. This is a real opportunity!

kajboy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Some companies should just stay away from the phone industry, Nintendo is a gaming company, Look at the sales of the DS they have nothing to lose by not entering the cell phone market. Dedicated gaming platforms will still control the respectable portable gaming industry.

israil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
The reason everyone wants to make a phone device is because your phone is the one thing you're least likely to leave home without. If you have your phone with you all of the time you're more likely to want to purchase other ways to use it, such as apps. The mobile electronics world is converging into a single multipurpose device. No one wants a pocket or purse full of different devices from different manufacturers that all have a learning curve to use, just one that does everything easily.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Unlike some of you NaySayers, i believe this guy knows what he is doing. otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be such a financial success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS