Nintendo Wii U Might Not be Support Unreal Engine 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Just because they made a demo that barely ran on 680 doesn't mean the engine wouldn't or couldn't scale down. I don't think the next XBOX or PS4 will be that much more powerful than the WiiU.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Where did this 6770 rumor come from exactly? The next Xbox is rumored to use a 6670 (Turks) based GPU and apparently this can handle UE4 while Wii U's superior GPU cannot? Last I heard the Wii U was going to use an older 4000 series GPU...

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I think Epic just have something against Nintendo. They point blank refused to try and get UE3 running on a 3DS yet spent time porting it to smartphones and now they are doing the same with UE4 and the WiiU. Unfortunately the UE engine is by far the most used in the industry so it will be a blow to the WiiU.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]I think Epic just have something against Nintendo. They point blank refused to try and get UE3 running on a 3DS yet spent time porting it to smartphones and now they are doing the same with UE4 and the WiiU. Unfortunately the UE engine is by far the most used in the industry so it will be a blow to the WiiU.[/citation]

To be fair, Nintendo sort of spit in the face of companies like Epic with the Wii. Nintendo sort of decided they don't care about making things look great, so why should Epic go to such great lengths to put its tech on a sub-par console?

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Huh? How does one get that the WiiU will not support UE4 from "It will support UE3 but we have not confirmed it will support UE4"?

They have only just started to reveal it to developers. I'm no coder, but I know these engines are made to be scalable, so that developers can make more money off selling a game over multiple platforms (and Epic can make money off of licensing the engine). HeII, UE3 can run on a flash enabled browser.

The key is that developers have to adopt UE4 --AND-- they have to adopt the WiiU. If they do, I'm sure you will see UE4 developed games on the platform. Plain and simple we will have to wait and see.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
This is bullshit. If the Wii U has a DirectX 11 capable GPU, then it can support Unreal Engine 4. Different thing is Epic doesn't want to offer its latest technology to Wii U developers, but the fundamentals are there (multithreaded rendering, tessellation, etc.).

Having UE4 running on a GTX680 doesn't mean it can't run on less capable hardware.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]To be fair, Nintendo sort of spit in the face of companies like Epic with the Wii. Nintendo sort of decided they don't care about making things look great, so why should Epic go to such great lengths to put its tech on a sub-par console?[/citation]

they are barely a game company anymore, they make the most widely used engine in gameing though, and at what, 750000 a pop to use it (old OLD numbers, but thats what it use to go for), every game that uses it they get money.

and the wii isn't sub par, i couldn't care less about graphics, but the wii just never got any games that appeal to me, i still bring out the game cube and my ps2 to play ps1 games and ps2, all my xbox games are playable on the 360, i still love playing them, and the wii should be two times the power of the xbox... its not that the system isnt powerful enough, its that no one made a game worth playing on it.

Rusmurf

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Maybe the first nintendo console I'm not going to buy, I did also skip the 3DS. Not going to support the business model they have anymore.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
"The GPU reportedly mounted in the Nintendo console is an AMD Radeon HD 6770."

Where did that come from? All the rumours were pointing to an R700 part, aka the 4000 series.

I would not be surprised if the U only matched or slightly surpassed this generation, just like the Wii did (that was about 50% more powerful than the previous generation). Nintendo fans seem to think that just because they showed off some pretty tech demos it will be on par with the other two next gen consoles, I doubt that, even just from a size and thermal displacement standpoint it can't be high clocked/high complexity hardware in there.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]turboflame[/nom]Where did this 6770 rumor come from exactly? The next Xbox is rumored to use a 6670 (Turks) based GPU and apparently this can handle UE4 while Wii U's superior GPU cannot? Last I heard the Wii U was going to use an older 4000 series GPU...[/citation]

That's what I thought, unless there was a new source not cited in the article the GPU in the Wii U was broadly said to be a R700/Radeon 4k part.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
As far back as I can remember Epic has bailed on Nintendo. The original Unreal was being developed for N64 but they canceled that. I think the 2 companies just aren't willing to work together which is a shame for the consumer.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... As I said here...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Sweeney-Unreal-Engine-UE4,15571.html
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... Unreal Engine 4 Not For Current Platforms (Except Kepler)... hmmm... it cold backfire, like with the first Crysis with Windows Vista... CoD MW won the GOTY that year, because it was more accessible... Crytek haz learned and made a engine, that works with the popular systems around... so? Is Epic and nVidia in the position to blackmail the whole gaming industry to follow the there path... next Xbox and WiiU is rumored/confirmed to have Radeon in it... even PS4 is rumored to have an APU from AMD... so? it's good to push the limits, but don't get to far ahead...[/citation]
... so...? EPIC should build the engine to work on popular systems... more volume, more UT engine games, more profit... but still focusing on future, but don't run too far ahead...

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have a 5770, and it can run everything i throw at it at 1920x1200 granted with reduced shadows, and i never use aa if given the choice (i see no need at that resolution for it) if the engine is properly coded at 60fps with 30fps being a bare minimum... and with console exclusive it can get more power out of the cards... that said, i want to know why unreal engine 4, with how pathetic it looks (discount all the physics crap) would require such high amounts of power to run. is it a codeing abortion, is it nvidia physx tied deaply to it, or did they botom up their own physics engine? if the bottom upped their own... they get respect for that, if they didnt... i hope noone uses it.[/citation]

I am sorry you still have a 5770...... Bet that thing maxes out crysis with high texture mods at that res too huh?

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"We pointed out this improbability based on the fact that Epic just recently got the engine up and running on a single Nvidia Kepler GPU. The GPU reportedly mounted in the Nintendo console is an AMD Radeon HD 6770."

I just want to say this: Epic managed to the get Unreal Engine 4 running on a PC on a singler Kepler GPU. Also, I want to continue saying that games for consoles are written to the hardware, and they do not run through some application programmable interface (that is the DirectX API for you).

You want an example, say....Metro 2033/Crysis 2/Battlefield 3 all running on Medium settings compared to their PC counterparts on console GPUs such as modified 7900GTX's and X1800XT's.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zloginet[/nom]I am sorry you still have a 5770...... Bet that thing maxes out crysis with high texture mods at that res too huh?[/citation]

i believe crysis was 46 ish fps... but that was when i was still running windows xp, all the games that i play, i set shadow detail lower than max, and no aa, not because my card cant handle it, but because i rather have the wiggle room for when the fps drops, so far the only game that i have to play on far less than optimal is witcher 2, i would us aa in that game, due to texture detail some how being tied to aa, but i dont have enough vram for that to be an option i believe.

that said, the 5770 is still more than enough to play any game at decent detail and still getting at minimum 30fps, and usualy 60 with only reduced shadow and aa, and so far, no reason to upgrade, granted i have been looking at the newer cards, and would have gotten a 7770 if they at least put 2gb of ram on it.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
@ Alidan: You do know that the 7700 has exactly the same performance as the 5770, just that it is running on a new architecture and consumes significantly less power, right?. Oh. And all DirectX11 cards fully support DirectX11.1, so I don't recommand an upgrade at all.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The #s posted for the upcoming consoles are based on specs, not architecture. Thats so they can be compared with what more people are familiar with aka PCs.
Spec-wise,based on universal shaders and clk spd only, the WiiU would be ~ 5x XBox360/PS3 .and the XBox720/PS4 would be ~6x. Overall real world performance #s will be quite different...

Status
Not open for further replies.