Nintendo Wii U Might Not be Support Unreal Engine 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]wii U will be fine it's estetic graphics and gameplay are the only one to actualy feel like a console. ps3 and xbox are simply old crappy pcs you pay alot more for for each game, at least it's how i feel.[/citation]

And a TOOOONNNNN less for the hardware. The cost of a console is basically what you'd pay for a graphics card.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Rusmurf[/nom]Maybe the first nintendo console I'm not going to buy, I did also skip the 3DS. Not going to support the business model they have anymore.[/citation]

Yeah at this point I wish they'd just go the SEGA route and publish games for other platforms. About 90% of the reason I'd buy a Nintendo console is for the 1st party titles. But I don't think it's worth it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Nintendo is in for a rough ride this time around, they were able to pull it off last gen because the Wii was different and unique and a lot cheaper but now that the novelty of it has worn off I don't know if they can survive.They do have there hard core fans.[/citation]

The novelty of being cheap will never wear off to parents and casual gamers. The novelty of motion controls has already worn off, leading them to this new idea. The question is whether the new idea will be fun for people or flop like the 3d aspect of 3DS. I don't think the idea of motion controls was bad, just that the Wiimote was a poor implementation that left it very imprecise, making the games that use it to be more hassle than fun.

Pretty disappointed how the commenters so far are only concerned with graphics and marking down people saying gameplay is more important. Games are meant to be PLAYED, not watched. You are the cancer leading to games that focus on visuals and ignore gameplay, plot, or challenge. Games can be enjoyable to people without UE4, they've been enjoyable to people for decades now.

As stated already, Nintendo and Epic don't get along. I really doubt Nintendo could care less if the recycled engine of a former PC developer agrees with their console. I doubt even if it ran better than anythng, Epic would jump at the chance to try and figure out an intelligent use for the tablet instead of just rehashing the same game to every console. Nintendo's concerned with other console developers like Square/Enix, Capcom, and Konami.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
A console is only as good as the software that plays on it. If you look at how many awesome titles came out using the unreal 3 engine, then the Wii U HAS TO support Unreal 4.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cryio[/nom]@ Alidan: You do know that the 7700 has exactly the same performance as the 5770, just that it is running on a new architecture and consumes significantly less power, right?. Oh. And all DirectX11 cards fully support DirectX11.1, so I don't recommand an upgrade at all.[/citation]
yes, i do know that its more or less the same power, the difference would have been more ram if any of the rumors panned out.

from my understanding, witcher 2, at the texture detail i have it set to uses 700mb of vram, if i were to enable aa, that also uses more vram to my knowledge, and would push it over my cards ram limit, only reason i was looking at the 7770 was because at one point the rumor was it would have 2gb of ram.

however now with unreal 4 engine, which may require physx, i have to see how much traction that gets, i dont want an nvidia anything, but if im forced to... ill probably go with them again... no matter how much hate i have.

G

Considering all the consoles are going to have AMD GPU's, I can't imagine that UE4 will force nvidia. That would be suicide for Epic.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Logic 101[/nom]Considering all the consoles are going to have AMD GPU's, I can't imagine that UE4 will force nvidia. That would be suicide for Epic.[/citation]

well, the only system set in stone (relativity speaking) right now is nintendo.

epic is pushing the other 2 companies to boost their gpus, and are most likely going to use e3 as a platform to voice their why.

i hope they have their own physics engine, and arent useing physx, but the fact they only demo on nvidia says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.