Nintendogs Blamed in Attack on Girl by Real Dog

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animehair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Typical for a an OLD Grandmother to blame a video game...

I have a toddler that loves our dog...but even SHE goes too far with her affection and my dog will bark at her and sometimes snap. Kids need to be watched around animals until they are old enough to understand the limits to which they can give affection to the animal. The grandmother is to blame.

Also it should be duly noted that a DOG also came to her rescue.

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
So, for your own safety, don't:
see Huch, Marley & me, Babe, Lassie, Benji,... with a dog in the room
play COD-MW1, Red Alert 2, Nintendogs,...
listen to Dog-Eat-Dog (does anyone remember?), ...

Man, how stupid can we be...

Just a thing, usually (but not always), when kids are attacked by dogs it's because the kid was violent to the dog... The best thing is to explain, from the start, that a dog is not a toy, nor a teddybear...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Parents raise kids and are responsible for what happens to them, not games, computers, televisions, or any other electronic gizmo. Blame the parents, not the game and not the dog. How about we put labels on kids to remind parents to actually take care of them?

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I mean I feel sorry for the little girl,but she should stop walking around with dog biscuits in her mouth...

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Poor kid--at least she came out okay. Good pet owners don't raise (or keep) animals that attack human beings unless trained to do so.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Any dog biting my child is going to catch a bullet, the owner stands a good chance of some of the same. If you can't teach your dog control or can't control it, then don't own it.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Also, I don't know if I believe the owner saying the girl kicked the dog. If the girl had kicked the dog, why would she be signing over the papers to have the dog put down?[/citation]

Because, even if the girl kicked the dog, the dog's response was out of line. The dog bit her face, after dragging her off the couch.

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
[citation][nom]flachet[/nom]Any dog biting my child is going to catch a bullet, the owner stands a good chance of some of the same. If you can't teach your dog control or can't control it, then don't own it.[/citation]
In 2007, in Belgium, a dog attacked and killed a boy for "no reasons". The dog was killed, and some days/weeks after, there was an autopsy made on the animal... and it turned out that the animal had crayons stuffed in its ears...
Well, I don't think the kid had to die, but the dog only defended itself...
Don't just train your dog, explain your kids that dogs can be dangerous and that they are no toys...

G

Reading the UK News Article, it says the dog was a Bull Mastiff.

Here in the USA, this would be considered a major contributing factor as "many" cities and towns have bylaws regarding such breeds which are known to turn on children and even adults.

Dangerous breeds of dogs in many places are either banned or must be restrained in such a way as not to pose a danger to others.

Then again, there are still plenty of places here in the USA where such dogs are not restricted yet even though they are known to be dangerous.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]flachet[/nom]Any dog biting my child is going to catch a bullet, the owner stands a good chance of some of the same. If you can't teach your dog control or can't control it, then don't own it.[/citation]
Not all animals attack for no reason, remember an animals only way of protecting itself is teeth and claws, and if they sense real danger and no way out of it they will use them.
Domesticated or not dogs and other animals will defend themselves if they feel their life is in danger, that is just natural instinct and should not be a reason to kill the animal, unless you are ready to start shooting everyone who starts a fight, since being more evolved we should know much better.

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
People will tend to blame the dog or game, but in reality it is the parents fault for letting the dog unsupervised by their child. I have a wonderful pitbull at home, shes great with kids, other dogs, but not for one second would I leave her alone with anyone or my own child. Dog's are sitll animals and unpredicable, it's the parents fault not the game nor dogs.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Of course the dog owner will claim that it must be the game's fault because their sweet sweet dog will never harm a child. Guess what? Even if the girl kicked it, the dog wouldn't have bited back if it was properly trained. I'm talking about a toddler's little kick here, not some savage repetitive beating that would of course make the dog go berserk.

It's sad how everyday I hear or see something that reminds me we live in a world where no one can take responsability anymore. There's always someone, something to put the blame on.

bear_jesus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
What about tv shows or movies with dogs in, if the game was o blame then anything at any point with a dog in it that barks would obviously hav caused it to attack before..........

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Of course the dog owner will claim that it must be the game's fault because their sweet sweet dog will never harm a child. Guess what? Even if the girl kicked it, the dog wouldn't have bited back if it was properly trained. I'm talking about a toddler's little kick here, not some savage repetitive beating that would of course make the dog go berserk.It's sad how everyday I hear or see something that reminds me we live in a world where no one can take responsability anymore. There's always someone, something to put the blame on.[/citation]

She was 9, if enough force was put in it then harm could be caused, she is nearly a preteen, not a toddler anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.