Nintendo's Wii U Controller Battery to Last Just 3-5 Hours

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]On the contrary; I liked the Wii, I own a Wii, and my ONLY disappointment (note that I do not have an HDTV, so graphics are not of huge concern) is the relative lack of games for the thing. The Wii was genius in that it allowed for intuitive control that could be used from anyone of the age of 2 to 200. The new controllers got the interface out of the way, and involved LESS button pushing. There was less technicality, less options to think about, and brought the user closer to the game they played. Having a pad means moving between 2 screens, it means more buttons, and buttons that move and are unstandardized between games. It means more options to think about. It means more distractions. It means more battery breaks (especially if you have kids who wear them down, and are not willing to charge them for more than 10-20 minutes at a time). It means more expensive parts to break. It means more fighting between siblings and 'friends' over who gets to play what roles in a game.Where the Wii brought people of all ages to video games because anyone could do it, this is going to alienate people from games. Yes, it will still sell (parents will always buy a nintendo product for their kids regardless of how 'good' or 'bad' it is because the company is viewed as 'safe'), but it will not take off like the Wii did, it will not be as fun as the Wii was, and (perhaps more importantly) it is not going to be as cheap as the Wii was while many people who have times for games are suffering from a seemingly never ending 'recession'. Bad product brought to market at a bad time. This will not make Nintendo the same profit as the Wii did.Keep in mind what happened to the last console with a monitor on the controller... dreamcast did not exactly make it as big as they had hoped[/citation]

In the end, it's all about how the developers develop those games. They can still make games without using the extra buttons have having simpler interfaces. Heck classic Wii games will still be compatible since you can hook up the Wii controller to the Wii U and play that way. They will still make Wii games, as they made ps2 games, for some time I think.

All your assumptions may not come to pass. It's always about how anybody uses and forms the software that the machine uses that makes it take off.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]NoUserBar[/nom]In the end, it's all about how the developers develop those games. They can still make games without using the extra buttons have having simpler interfaces. Heck classic Wii games will still be compatible since you can hook up the Wii controller to the Wii U and play that way. They will still make Wii games, as they made ps2 games, for some time I think.All your assumptions may not come to pass. It's always about how anybody uses and forms the software that the machine uses that makes it take off.[/citation]
BTW: What is with all the family scenes Nintendo uses xD How about a black family with stressed and bullied kids and a marriage on the fritz gathering about the Wii U for some family fun? Wouldn't that be a more heartwarming scene? xP Or a divorced rich couple gathering together to play with the young son on his birthday? haa...anywho

mickfley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I am not surprised by this but I don't want to experience the regular changing of battery that happened to my Samsung 3D glasses. There are just too many battery-related problems that add up to the frustration that all these technology products bring. As soon as I heard that 3D passive TVs like LG offers a light and battery-free 3D glasses I said to myself that at least only the remote controls will need to have their batteries changed. Although if ths Nintendo can control my LG 3D TV LM5800, then I am OK if the battery will last for only 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.