Nissan's Futuristic Car Just 3.6 Feet Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
This is a very similar design to the Carver

http://green.autoblog.com/2006/08/19/three-wheeled-hybrid-carver-bike-car-on-the-way-can-you-say-coo/

Top gear reviewed that thing and said it was terrific fun to drive.

Nissan's model looks great and if they can make it affordable, they may have a winner on their hands.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This looks like the Smart from Mercedes.. I freaking hatre it and we have so many all over Europe and specially here in Greece.. Google that too. Specialy the cabrio version. Damn small cars I can't stand them. :/

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
See also the Volkswagen 1L concept series, which is supposedly targeted for eventual production. It is a 2-seat inline design, and I think a better one. It is a little wider for side-impact protection, and doesn't need to lean. It is extremely simple and lightweight.

The name 1L refers to a fuel consumption of 1L/100Km, equivalent to 238 MPG!

This Nissan looks cool, but it seems overly complicated and is probably heavier and less efficient than it needs to be due to the tilt actuators. Also, how do you wash inside the fender gaps?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I think it would do great in an accident! Tighter welds, less metal to flex, less space to consume with airbags.. it'll be like that car in Demolition Man when it filled with foam! lol! I like it!

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I think Newton handles the tilt not fancy actuators. In the US it will be an epic failure. A Smart is lethal in a 40 mph crash with anything other than another Smart. This will be much worse far worse than a motorcycle I would imagine as you are encased in this.

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
hmm, let's see how well it does when you throw a snowy road at it. My bet is: about as well as a motorcycle. But as far as a concept goes it does look kinda cool.

sparky_the_lab_rat

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
It looks like the height of the rear bumper of a pick-up truck will be about 1/2 way up the windshield. 2 problems with that... first, your face takes the brunt of the impact of a colission, second, a big vehicle will not see you behind or sometimes along side them unless you put on one of those stupid orange flags that they use on recumbant bicycles.

Those look like ~10 inch tires. How well does it handle bumpy roads and potholes? How about snow? I bet in the North-East they will invent a new sport where SUVs use these as hockey pucks on icy mornings.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]sparky_the_lab_rat[/nom]It looks like the height of the rear bumper of a pick-up truck will be about 1/2 way up the windshield. 2 problems with that... first, your face takes the brunt of the impact of a colission, second, a big vehicle will not see you behind or sometimes along side them unless you put on one of those stupid orange flags that they use on recumbant bicycles.Those look like ~10 inch tires. How well does it handle bumpy roads and potholes? How about snow? I bet in the North-East they will invent a new sport where SUVs use these as hockey pucks on icy mornings.[/citation]
Cars don't do so hot when they hit school buses either. There are always going to be shortcomings and downfalls but if this is EMISSIONLESS, awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.