No 3DS Until March 2011; Design Could Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
yeah another analog stick would be nice. And a functional browser and I am sold. I have not bought a nintendo handheld in a while, but i may buy this one.

Also, make it look less like a DS more like a PSP. I thought the PSP looked slick and DS kinda kiddy.

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cencsor[/nom]Get rid of the different colours[/citation]

what difference would that make? Limiting choice would only contribute to less sales. If you don't like a particular color, just buy it in a differet color, simple as that.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]time to take that 3D technology to more then 3 inches of screen .. then you can call me.[/citation]
ya sure its nice to have a bigger screen and all, but would you really want to pay more for a hand held then a console and have it last less then a normal play time of battery life?

You cant just magically add screen size without boosting the hardware and power requirements for such a small device.

captainm27

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I think Nintendo should really splurge on this one. High end CPU, GPU, 4.3" Hi-Rez Screen on both. Sure, it would probably cost something like $500 or $600 per unit to manufacture, but sell it for $150 or so. Sure, Nintendo will lose massive money in the initial year or two, but they will rake that up with all the millions that this is going to guarantee sell. Besides, they still have like Gazillion Dollars from all the Wii sales, they can afford to take the back burner for a while. Basically, I would like to see Nintendo make some high end hardware device for once, and combine it with the innovative games they come up with.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
seeing as we are all thinking up the ideal device with money being secondard, I agree a bigger hi rez main screen with minimum bezel would be better

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
My only problem is that the 3DS seems like a good competitor with the PSP (in terms of technology) not a successor to it like a lot would have hoped. The PSP kills the 3DS in terms of triangles computed per second. What does that mean? It means that more complicated geometry can be done on the PSP (or 'fewer jaggies').

The 3DS beats it in fill rate meaning the textures can be better though.

In my opinion, there are no good reasons to have old technology in a device. Newer technology can be cheaper to make, use less power, and get more performance. I really don't understand why Tegra 1 or Tegra 2 was not used. Or a similar type of chip.

Furthermore, the screen is a 400x240 screen (2x400x240 meaning there are two 400x240 images rendered to create the 3D effect... so Nintendo claims an 800x240 screen) is similar to the PSPs 480x270. More resolution = fewer jaggies.

Rumors are floating about that this device isn't going to come cheap. I would have rather passed on 3D this generation. While it might look really cool, it may end up being too expensive.

I'm really interested to see what the PSP2 can do even if I will have bought a 3DS already.

kckrich

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]captainm27[/nom]I think Nintendo should really splurge on this one. High end CPU, GPU, 4.3" Hi-Rez Screen on both. Sure, it would probably cost something like $500 or $600 per unit to manufacture, but sell it for $150 or so. Sure, Nintendo will lose massive money in the initial year or two, but they will rake that up with all the millions that this is going to guarantee sell. Besides, they still have like Gazillion Dollars from all the Wii sales, they can afford to take the back burner for a while. Basically, I would like to see Nintendo make some high end hardware device for once, and combine it with the innovative games they come up with.[/citation] If you produce something for 500-600 dollars as you say, and sell it for $150, you never end up making money? What are you thinking?

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I personally can't stand the black bezel on all the 3DS that aren't black.

Matte screens would be a plus too. Non of these super glossy screens that kick back awful reflections.

A more durable touch screen would be nice. Something akin to the glass touch screen on the iPhone. I've abused my DS screen so much over the years that when you touch the center of the screen, the cursor shows up half a centimeter to the right of where you're actually touching. I've tried recalibrating the thing to no avail.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kckrich[/nom]If you produce something for 500-600 dollars as you say, and sell it for $150, you never end up making money? What are you thinking?[/citation]
Both Sony and MS do exactly that, when the 360 and ps3 were released they were sold for less than the console cost to manufacture. The idea is to make it up on game licensing fees and the eventual cost reduction of the hardware as newer and better tech came out. Nintendo has never really followed that strategy though, they tend to use older and established (and significantly less expensive) hardware in their designs, which, considering the commercial success of the wii and ds, has seemed to work in their favor.

gammaraptor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kckrich[/nom]If you produce something for 500-600 dollars as you say, and sell it for $150, you never end up making money? What are you thinking?[/citation]

No kidding... have you taken any economic lessons? I wouldn't mind buying something like that though =]

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]captainm27[/nom]Sure, Nintendo will lose massive money in the initial year or two, but they will rake that up with all the millions that this is going to guarantee sell.[/citation]
Tell that to Sony, who tried that with their PS3. Or Microsoft, who did that with the original Xbox. While the Xbox 360 made a profit in spite of initially selling at a loss, it wasn't due to game sales, but rather the fact that the loss was small, and die shrinks and revisions quickly slashed into the cost of manufacture. On the other side, the Xbox 1 wound up being a huge, multi-hundred-million-dollar loss for Microsoft, and the PS3 likewise for Sony.

One must remember: these companies are in the business to make money, not to satisfy fans' dreams. And while some might argue for the "sell at a loss" gambit, a company as conservative and cautious as Nintendo is never going to take a risk like that, especially given the real-world results we've seen from this risk.

[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]The PSP kills the 3DS in terms of triangles computed per second. What does that mean? It means that more complicated geometry can be done on the PSP (or 'fewer jaggies').[/citation]
Actually, the on-paper specs don't mean so much there... Traingles-per-second really stopped mattering back after 2001 or so, when it was the main dick-waving contest between the PS2 and Xbox. Especially since this can't be done as a strict comparison: the PSP uses programmable resources for T&L, while the 3DS has a fixed-function T&L unit. What does this mean? It means that SURE, the PSP can jack up the number of polys, but it drains resources away that could be used for other effects, or the came core itself, while the 3DS may have a lower theoretical limit on polys, it can pretty much always run at that limit without strangling other parts of the system.

The texturing power, though, indeed blows the altnernatives away. Some rumors seem to be in line with the GPU actually clocking at MORE than the baseline 200 MHz, giving it fill-rates that could allow for detail levels that'd rival modern 7th-generation consoles. (once difference of resolution are accounted for) Indeed, some of the E3 demonstrations seem to bear this out; the GPU can apparently handle all the common shaders popular in Xbox 360 and PS3 games (normal-, specular-, and shadow-mapping among others) for essentially free, as they're handled through fixed-function units built into each texture unit, rather than relying on real-time computations done by programming the pixel shaders. The only commonly-seen thing it seems to lack is support for are bloom/HDR.

[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]More resolution = fewer jaggies. Rumors are floating about that this device isn't going to come cheap.[/citation]
I'm not 100% positive, but it does appear the 3DS has something arguing strongly in its favor for lower jaggies: the use of anti-aliasing. That alone can do far more than a resolution bump, so while the effective 400x240 of the 3DS may be technically lower than the 480x272 of the PSP, the images should appear vastly sharper and crisper.

No word on the price, though Nintendo isn't one for vastly high costs, nor do they sell their hardware at a loss. $200-250 is more liable to be the price range for this sort of thing, I'd guess. The latter seems a bit high, but mostly I don't know how Nintendo's going to have this play along with the $190 DSi XL; the latter *IS* much bigger, but they may opt to slash the price on it. I suppose it might be helpful to do some research on price history of previous handhelds, since Nintendo has invariably kept their old generation along as a "cheaper alternative" to their current one. (I.e, GBC when the GBA was out, GBA alongside the DS, DS Lite and DSi, etc.)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]That's because this pre-rendered animation isn't a game. Games have to be rendered at run time whereas you can pre-render for things like this. If you really want to be deceitful, you can even render it really really slowly and just 10x the video speed on youtube.[/citation]
As far as I know, all the E3 game demos shown were real time in game demonstrations running live on 3DS engineering units. They were not pre-rendered videos. The demos themselves weren't playable, but in many cases attendees could pan the camera around while the demo was running. Yes, so that means Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, MGS and all other demos were running live.

For everyone disappointed in the PICA200... The specs given in this article apply to this particular GPU running at 200MHz. The PICA200 in the 3DS is running at 400MHz. So the capabilities of the 3DS are quite a bit different, and in many ways it does outperform the PSP (at least on paper). I don't know about anyone else, but it wasn't too difficult for me to figure this out on my own just based off the in game demo vids available online. MGS on the 3DS looked on par or even better then the PS2 version, and much better then on the PSP.

The vertex performance of the 3DS is 30.6 million triangles per second, and the pixel performance is 1.6 billion pixels per second. And of course the GPU still includes all the features mentioned above, some of which are not available on the PSP, such as full-scene antialiasing, per-pixel lighting, refraction mapping, shadow, etc...

While the vertex performance of the 3DS is slightly below that of the PSP, the pixel fillrate is 2.5x that of the PSP. This is probably where most of the visual discrepancies between the two systems come from. Think also about how much games have advanced visually over the past 5 to 6 years, and consider that the vast majority of those visual advances were born out of expanded pixel horsepower and not vertex.

Status
Not open for further replies.