No ARC connection TCL TV and Vizio Soundbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer_clark30

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
I'm at a dead end here. I just bought a Vizio soundbar with surround sound speakers and a subwoofer today. It has aux, optical, red/white cable, bluetooth, hdmi in, and hdmi out (ARC) inputs. I also have a 55" TCL 4k TV I recently bought from walmart. I had it hooked up to my old LG soundbar and sub with an aux cable, so that I could control my volume with my TV (roku) remote. I originally just hooked this new Vizio soundbar up the same way with the aux, and although it worked there was constant static no matter which aux cable I used. The optical and red/white cables both work fine, but I have to use the soundbar remote to change the volume. I figured I'd update and use the HDMI ARC output. On the TV it is an obvious option as it is marked as HDMI 1 (ARC). I've hooked it all up correctly and it will not work. I go to system settings, and CEC function and I check HDMI ARC as well as System audio control, and then I search for CEC devices and nothing comes up. Also in an attempt to just use an optical cable, these soundbars have a feature to learn new volume commands so you can keep using your TV remote, but of course this ROKU remote doesn't work for it. Any help here guys would be very appreciated.

keem_1

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I'm having the same issue with my LG Smart TV and Vizio Soundbar. Everything works fine with my optical connection, however, when trying to connect via HDMI(ARC) I run into problems. However, a few days ago, I was able to get the HDMI connection to work(not sure how :/). But as of yesterday, for some reason, the connection no longer works. I'm lost. I did nothing to the initial HDMI (ARC) connection. This has to be a factory glitch of some sorts.

sajoseph3

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
I have been messing with the same problem for 8 months (since purchasing this equipment). The set up is a Vizio E65-E0 display and an Vizio SB3851-D0 sound bar. Also in the mix is an Amazon Fire TV and a Samsung 6 tuner DVR / cable box. The TV was unable to recongize the CEC ARC settings, so I had to use the optical cable for auido.

About a month ago, I discovered that if I disconnect the Samsung cable box before scanning for ARC devices, the sound bar can be discovered and would subsequently stay connected.

The setting works as long as the set up remains powered, so whenever there is a power failure or any other cause to restart the TV (such as a firmware update), the CEC ARC settings are lost. Fortunately, I can reestablish the discovery by repeating the disconnect-discover-reconnect sequence. It's all a kuldge, but at least is now works.

thepinkr0b0t

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

I just bought the Vizio M50-E1 with the SB4051-D5 sound bar and I am having a similar problem and it's extremely frustrating. I have my blu ray player connected to the HDMI in port on my sound bar and my sound bar is connected to my TV via the HDMI ARC ports. Everything is set up correctly. When I turn on the TV and try and watch Netflix from the smartcast input, I get no sound. In order to get sound to work, I have to switch to the blu ray player input and then switch back. If I turn either the sound bar or TV off, it loses connection and have to repeat the whole process. I have unplugged the blu ray player from the sound bar to see if that helps but I still have the same problem. I have set the system up using my optical ports instead and it works great. Until I can find a solution, I will just continue to use my optical cable.

sajoseph3

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Okay, we've already established that there is something goofy with the Samsung STB/DVR. It turns out that these devices are customized for the cable provider, in my case, TWC/Brighthouse/Spectrum. Either Samsung or the cable company have overridden the established protocol for the CEC channel on the HDMI ports. CEC is used to help connected devices better communicate control, share remotes, and the like. I found that if I insulated the CEC pin (#13) from the Samsung STB to the Vizio, the TV could then easily see the other devices on the bus, including the the sound bar, Fire TV, and other stuff.

The ideal solution would be for the cable company to push a firmware update that would restore the correct CEC behavior. Realizing that I'm more likely to win the Lotto than get Spectrum and Samsung to fix a problem that only hurts consumers and Vizio, I went to plan B: insulate Pin 13.

The simple solution is to create a special HDMI cable for connecting the STB to the TV. Options for this include:
- chain HDMI-to-DVI and a DVI-to-HDMI cables together to make the new cable. (DVI does not carry CEC, so that pin is N.C.)
- modify an existing HDMI cable by removing the contact for pin 13 on one side, or severing the associated cable. (A tricky bit of surgery that might cost you a few cables before your get it right).
- obtain an "HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male". (about $20)

I went with the first option, as it was the least costly fix, and I already had one of the two needed adapters on hand. (Even if I had to by both, it would have been less cost then the special adapter.)

I've had this solution in place for several weeks now, and have no problems. The only flaw is the desired CEC instructions don't pass from the STB, so when I watch TV, I have to turn on both the TV and the STB. The sound bar and Amazon Fire TV work flawlessly now. (I've even removed the optical cable work around. I'm sure we are fixed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.