Mar 26, 2019
Hey there. I'm knew here & basically just recently got into the electronics heavily. Due to fact I have NO audio out on my Lg TV. No headphone jack, all HDMI is audio in. Both components are audio in. I have optical out. Tried to hook up sound bar found out I had no sound coming through sound bar with over the air/antenna TV ACCEPT when it's on the snowy channels, works fine. I have a Roku 3 box (older version) which is plugged into the TV HDMI in via HDMI cord. When I am on the Roku it plays everything I have on it perfectly. Also, all I can do in my Auto setting is turn the speaker on or off. There is NO NONE.. place to switch anything else. No I can't switch toDolby, RCA,NOTHING...So saw an article somewhere on the web as I was researching can get a manka 4K HDMI Audio Extractor Converter Input HDMI To HDMI Output Optical Audio SPDIF and 3.5mm Stereo Audio Extractor for Blue-ray PC Xbox One HDTV & run the HDMI from the extractor's "HDMI OUT" to the TV's "HDMI IN." Then take an optical cord & run it from the extractor's "OPTICAL OUT" to the sound bars "OPTICAL IN." WAH LA... SOUND? Right?? Or no? ??Please can somebody help please. I've tried my butt off for a week. Like I said I knew NOTHING about anything audio, video, sound, no sound.. zero notta... so I've learned quite a bit this past week. Which, I actually enjoyed. Just would like confirmation this will in fact work. The dude, Agent Henry, at Geek Squad knew nothing I was speaking of. He'd never heard of the external device. I explained what it would do..which was basically switch the HDMI ports to the opposite of what they say. Or at least something like that correct. Thanks for reading me frustrating story ?Excited to see if I'm even close to getting this bad boy to push sound out this sound bar.

Mar 26, 2019
No audio out ports from Tv. Only out is optical. HDMI from extractors audio out to TV's audio in port. Optical cord from extractors optical out to soundbar. Right? I'm totally new at this. Like last week new. I cannot even do anything in the audio settings from TV accept turn speakers off. There are no other options period. I also, checked the sources on soundbar making sure they were set accordingly. Also I have antenna TV. It appears I am receiving HIDef and Dolby digital. No there is nowhere for me to switch to Dolby digital or anything else. Please help. Thanks in advance

Mar 26, 2019
No audio out ports from Tv. Only out is optical. HDMI from HDMI extractor audio output to TV's audio input? Optical cord from HDMI extractor optical out to soundbar. Right? There does not appear to be a headphone jack on TV. There is a hole for audio it appears to be for AUX. I still tried the headphone jack tho. I put headphone jack into TV to the soundbar via RCA. Still nothing. I have an optical out. I hooked it from TV to sound bar. Still nothing. I truly believe all my ports are inputs accept for the optcial one. There has to be a way to make this work? The sound will come out of the soundbar if I am in my Roku. It will play audio to anything watch in Roku. I'm totally new at this. Like last week new. I cannot even do anything in the audio settings from TV accept turn speakers off. There are no other options period. I also, checked the sources on soundbar making sure they were set accordingly. Also I have antenna TV. It appears I am receiving HIDef and Dolby digital. No there is nowhere for me to switch to Dolby digital or anything else. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't think you need the extractor but it you use it the audio output of it goes to the soundbar and the HDMI output of it to the TV.
If the TV has an optical audio output then you should be able to connect that to the soundbar directly. In the TV audio or setup menu you usually have to turn the optical output on. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type. Check the TV owners manual.
Make sure you have selected the optical input on the soundbar and turned the volume up on the soundbar remote. The TV volume control won't affect the optical output.
By the way do you even know that the soundbar works at all? Try connecting your phone headphone out to the aux input to check it.

Mar 26, 2019
I don't think you need the extractor but it you use it the audio output of it goes to the soundbar and the HDMI output of it to the TV.
If the TV has an optical audio output then you should be able to connect that to the soundbar directly. In the TV audio or setup menu you usually have to turn the optical output on. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type. Check the TV owners manual.
Make sure you have selected the optical input on the soundbar and turned the volume up on the soundbar remote. The TV volume control won't affect the optical output.
By the way do you even know that the soundbar works at all? Try connecting your phone headphone out to the aux input to check it.
Thank you so much for responding.I've been askng for lke 4 day now. All over the web. Yes, the soundbar works. It will put sound out when I am in my Roku. I have the Roku hooked up via HDMI to TV HDMI input. I did try the optical out from tv to soundbar. Nothing at all. Now I did keep my Roku plugged into TV? Would that matter? I, of course, do not have my manual. The TV is like a 2006 or 07. I do need to stated when I am trying to play sound bar from Tv, it is antenna Tv. I do not have cable. Just local channels. Would that make it not be compatible?

Mar 26, 2019
Thank you so much for responding.I've been askng for lke 4 day now. All over the web. Yes, the soundbar works. It will put sound out when I am in my Roku. I have the Roku hooked up via HDMI to TV HDMI input. I did try the optical out from tv to soundbar. Nothing at all. Now I did keep my Roku plugged into TV? Would that matter? I, of course, do not have my manual. The TV is like a 2006 or 07. I do need to stated when I am trying to play sound bar from Tv, it is antenna Tv. I do not have cable. Just local channels. Would that make it not be compatible?
Also, when I am flipping through the over the air channels, trying to get sound.. If the Tv lands on a station that has the "snow" affect the sound bar will play then.

Mar 26, 2019
Yes. The soundbar works fine when I'm in my Roku. But will not work when I am on TV channels via over the air antenna TV? I do have an optical output. But that is all. By boyfriends LG doesn't even have that. He has NO outputs at all. And no neither of us have a place for headphones to plug in either. So, how would I hookup the Roku, extractor, sound bar and say... xbox if I wanted to add the xbox. I definitely want the Roku connected. Which, as I stated, it works perfectly fine with the sound bar. I think I have something hooked up wrong. There's gotta be a way to get sound from TV to sound bar even though I have NO audi outputs. I bought the extractor. It has HDMI IN/OUT, OPTICAL, AUX I believe. My sound bar has HDMI, OPTICAL, RCA AND AUX. Any suggestions as to what on earth I am doing wrong. I've been dealing with this for a month now. Thanks so much for your time

Mar 26, 2019
I have a 2009 LCD LG TV. Model 42LH50. The only audio out is the optical port. I have my Roku 2 box in one HDMI port. I hooked my sound bar into TV with optical cable from sound bar to TV. The ROKU 2 Plays flawlessly through the sound bar. However, when I switch to TV, I do not have cable so it's antennaTV, there is no sound. The internal speakers are off. That's the only audio option I have, on or off. I cannot switch any inputs. I do not have a headphone Jack. I bought an extractor. Still nothing. Maybe I have extractor hooked up wrong. I've been researching this for over a month. LG didnt even have an answer. I dont see anything in my manual. I would also like to hook up the xbox 1 with sound as well. Also. Would like to know how to hook up the ROKU STICK to TV to get sound from sound bar too. Same deal. Just the Roku they have is a stick and I couldn't even get it to play any sound. I can at least get sound from my Roku 2 box. I have RCA and Component inputs. And an Aux port on TV. Sound bar does not have HDMI port. Any suggestions would be so wonderful. Thanks in advance

Mar 26, 2019
2nd warning. don't spam
Yes. The soundbar works fine when I'm in my Roku. But will not work when I am on TV channels via over the air antenna TV? I do have an optical output. But that is all. By boyfriends LG doesn't even have that. He has NO outputs at all. And no neither of us have a place for headphones to plug in either. So, how would I hookup the Roku, extractor, sound bar and say... xbox if I wanted to add the xbox. I definitely want the Roku connected. Which, as I stated, it works perfectly fine with the sound bar. I think I have something hooked up wrong. There's gotta be a way to get sound from TV to sound bar even though I have NO audi outputs. I bought the extractor. It has HDMI IN/OUT, OPTICAL, AUX I believe. My sound bar has HDMI, OPTICAL, RCA AND AUX. Any suggestions as to what on earth I am doing wrong. I've been dealing with this for a month now. Thanks so much for your time
Ii still do not have this thing working. LG dude couldn't even help me. Nkw my friends doesn't have audio output either. Not even optical. His has a roku stick, mine is the box type, his wont even play sound from the roku stick. Neither one of us have any options on out TV that will allow us to change any input. And under audio the only option we have is turn turn it internal speakers on or off. It is freaking crazy. Mine is a 2009 42LH50 UC. However, his isn't even 4 years old. Are the LG manufactures all on LSD or what?