No Keyboard on Startup, tho the Caps lock key works

Gurney Skiffen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I have an acer aspire 5742 laptop. When i went to startup the keyboard would not work, although the "caps lock" key does. I cant enter my password (work machine) to load up. I did frantically start typing on keys & it miraculously started working. Thinking i should restore to an earlier point to eliminate any system changes that may have affected, it is now again stuck at password screen with keyboard noy working. Any thoughts???? Thnx in advance

Solution
Problem solved. It seems that when i first check keyboard connections i had not put back in enough & slightly twisted the keyboard. This was puuting upward pressure on bottom left corner, hence Ctrl key always on. I cleaned keyboard contacts & replace properly (this time) & realigned the keyboard & all good (so far)

ahmeday2012

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Flip the laptop upside down and give it a few small slaps at the top of it and wiggle it abit and see if it may work. If not then best choice is to go to the nearest hardware shop/store and ask what they think the problem may be and if they can fix it.
Hope that helps

Gurney Skiffen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

Connections looked OK, tho i'm not a tech. I did reboot & tried continually tapping F12, it sort of then recognized keyboard & i was able to access. Opened up word & went through alphabet to check each key, all seemed good. Opened up excel & then got dialogue box that ctrl key was locked. Then no keys worked, other than the caps & num lock. Mouse still works & when i opened explorer scrolling the mouse changed the file views. Dbl click a folder & it opens in a new window.
Its a secondary work machine that i like to keep my accounting & business files on incase desktop crashes & handy when travelling, so its not used constantly & i update the files once a month. Seems odd to do this without warning.
I might also add that an external wireless keyboard does the same thing

Gurney Skiffen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Problem solved. It seems that when i first check keyboard connections i had not put back in enough & slightly twisted the keyboard. This was puuting upward pressure on bottom left corner, hence Ctrl key always on. I cleaned keyboard contacts & replace properly (this time) & realigned the keyboard & all good (so far)

Solution