Question No linked devices to Microsoft account

Jul 6, 2019
I use Google Voice on my laptop. I received a video with a text message. To play it, the message indicated I needed to download Verizon's video player at https://www.vzmessages.com/getclient. When I attempt to, I'm prompted to sign into my Microsoft account, which I did with the code I received. I then click Install on my devices. That brings up another screen that says "It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account." Same thing after restarting the pc, a Dell Inspiron running Windows 8.1. I wonder why does Microsoft not recognize my pc as a trusted device?

Sometimes I can play videos if they're sent by another cell provider. I can't download videos from Google Voice - it appears to but then says 'Failed - no file'. I know that's a separate issue. It appears videos sent from a Verizon cellphone require their app.

Videos on a phone do not auto play on someplace like Google itself. You need a player on the computer. Windows media player accepts a ton of file types, so it should work with that. Additionally there would be no need to log into an account if it will let you download the video. The whole thing sounds rather fishy to me.

Jul 6, 2019
If one of my sons sends me a video within a text to Google Voice, I can play the video on my pc. He has Net10. Another son has Verizon - that one I couldn't play, and the message indicated I needed to download Verizon's video player. To do that, Microsoft needs me to have my pc as a registered, or trusted device. I wondered also, why can't I just play it. I've played all kinds of video formats and have a conversion app on the pc if needed. If I could just download the video from G.V., which so far isn't possible (I've seen other threads about that) I wouldn't have to bother with the whole Verizon download thing.

Last edited:
It sounds rather odd. If it is downloadable then you shouldn't need to have any other player.

You could have them send you the video as an attachment to an email message rather than going through google voice. Yes you can send any text/mms message to an email address. They just need to place your full email address in it rather than a phone number. I do it all the time. Then attach whatever the files is to that message and send it to your email. It should be downlable to your computer so you can play it. Note the file extension also.

Here are all the file types supported by Windows Media player... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player

If it still won't work for you then I have to wonder if you are using a legit version of Windows.

Jul 6, 2019
It's not downloadable from Google Voice. I have a legit version of Windows 8.1 This is the only time I received a video from a Verizon phone on G.V. Previously, I'd ask to have a video from the Net10 phone sent to me via email which was successful, but then I found I could just play the video within G.V from Net10. Not with Verizon, as I found out yesterday. It's not a big concern.

The main thing I wondered about was why Microsoft didn't recognize any of my devices, but I found out what I need to do, which is was to log into my account via:

https://login.live.com/

Last edited:
Then I would say as I did before, the file type is not playable in Google Voice. That is on them. I have never ever heard of any phone with a video that will only play on a device from that company. Verizon isn't a manufacturer, it is a carrier/service provider. So the video type isn't through them. It makes me wonder if the video they were sending you want not sent normally. There is a missing component there. But as long as you found a way around it, then that is good.

Reactions: Stelcom66
Jul 6, 2019
Yes, I also thought it was odd I couldn't play it and needed a specific Verizon player on my pc. Thanks for the input. Thankfully Net10 videos I receive can be played from Google Voice, my son routinely sends me videos of the grandchildren (even they only live a mile away). It wasn't critical that I watched the video, but I wanted to pursue the challenge of why I couldn't. Thankfully there's forums like this to help. Interesting that any photo, no matter what cell carrier, I'm able to download from G.V.

G.V. doesn't owe me anything. I like it because I prefer to reply to texts with my pc instead of my caveman flip phone. but the texts can be sent to the flip phone. (I am researching various smartphones) G.V. does have quirks and issues that come up from time to time, it seems there's consistently something new. Since I don't pay for it, so I'll just submit reports in their forum, or what I just found out recently - it' better to submit trouble reports within G.V.'s site using the Send Feedback option.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to use it as well, but I found I would rather just get the info in my email, which can get and send any SMS (plain text) or MMS (text with files, images, etc.) to any device. Doesn't need to be sent to another email, will send an receive from/to a phone.

I started using it years ago, when I was out somewhere and remembered I needed to do/get/etc. something later. No paper to write it down, so I would text it to my email and check never miss a thing. :) Been hooked ever since.