No longer recognizes my headphones. Realtek seems to think my speaker and headphones are one device

reptilicus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
When I used to plug in my headphones in the front jack on my desktop it would recognize them as headphones and my speakers would automatically be muted (cables not USB, for both speakers and headphones). My headphones are still getting sound through them when I plug them in but sound still also comes from my speakers. I also used to get a little message from my taskbar telling me that I plugged in a device upon connecting my headphones and I no longer receive this message either.

Not sure that it has anything to do with it, but I just installed a new Corsair 860x PSU and an AMD R9 290X. Directly after this is when I noticed this happening. I have been troubleshooting with Sound in Control Panel and the Realtek HD Audio Manager and I cannot find where the problem lies. Any help would be much appreciated!

Ah yes, I almost forgot, I believe that I used to see headphones as a listed device when selecting a default device as well and now that no longer applies.

To add to this further, I am reading that there is a way to disable front port detection and mute the rear output device on front port detection, however I cannot seem to find this option!

Solution
i see you have speaker and mic do you use the mic and did you try check the other playback device also if this is a external sound card you need the driver from her not the motherboard do you still have the onboard audio chipset active .

reptilicus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

my advanced settings only allow me to do so much:

realtek_zpscb27f39a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

trust me i have unplugged and plugged in everything and messed with every option in Realtek audio manager and Windows Sound Settings that I could find. I have noticed many people have this issue but I have yet to see a solution. My Realtek driver is the one that coincides with my motherboard and before that I have also tried downloading the latest one from the website but I don't seem to have access to the range of options most people get from the RT audio manager.

Literally right before I put in my new graphics card and PSU when I would plug my headphones into the front panel it would be recognized as "a new device" being plugged in and the speakers would be muted. Now that does not happen.

I was wondering if maybe I didn't reconnect my Realtek sound card properly after adding new hardware because I did have to remove it but I checked and it looks fine however I am unsure...

i see you have speaker and mic do you use the mic and did you try check the other playback device also if this is a external sound card you need the driver from her not the motherboard do you still have the onboard audio chipset active .

Solution