No Man's Sky Review: Empty Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I agree with Marshall, you're going to either love it or hate it. To me, it's a relaxing hail back to some of the older space games, and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed the exploration. In fact, it's kind of shocking when the local fauna prove to be aggressive. I've spent over 10 hours in game, and haven't left my home system, although I've gotten quite a few upgrades and scanned / named all the species in two planets and almost all on the third.

I expect some additional interest to be added in patches over time, but if you're looking for high action and blood-pumping survival, this isn't it. If you're interested in being humbled by the vastness of space and your own insignificance, while exploring some beautiful planets, it might be worth a look. It'll show up on a Steam sale at some point, too, and a bit of a price cut will make the value hard to beat.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

I think you're going to be waiting a long time. It isn't that kind of game.

seadrive

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
It's kind of interesting that in order to get more supplies to build things the more resources one uses and has to travel to find...this behaviour is simply life. One works to maintain and improve and in doing so uses resources, thus having to obtain more in order to find more or better resources. I have not purchased this game yet, but am interested to know if the amount of work and energy used by the player seems more than resources received from doing so.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

The answer to your question is no, unless you're doing it very very wrong you're always looking at a net-positive. For example, I often use Carbon to charge my mining laser - the same mining laser I use to mine Carbon. There has never been a situation where it takes anywhere near the amount needed to charge to mine the amount needed to charge (if that isn't confusing enough...). In fact, once you get established and upgraded, the amount of resources necessary for normal walking around on a planet falls until it's no longer bothersome, just something to keep in mind now and then. After getting an upgrade to my life support system, I almost never have to charge it up, and after getting the grenade launcher I usually don't worry about picking up Zinc to charge my hazard suit unless I'm on a really pretty planet I don't want to mess up - I just shoot a hole in the ground to hide from the heat/radiation/cold/whatever and my suit recharges on its own.

The feel of the game changes considerably after you get yourself established with some upgrades, and unless you're on a super-hostile planet there just isn't a big burden of tedium required to survive. After a few hours it's not much of a big deal to wander far away from your ship and just explore however you want, because you're self-sufficient and you can always find a station and call your ship to you if you want it. Sure, it might take a little while to find a station to call the ship, but that's to be expected... you're wandering around on the surface of a barely-inhabited planet with no idea what's out there.

The only thing that bothers me is sometimes it takes a while to find and scan the very last animal species on a planet. So far I've scanned 100% of everything on each planet I land on.

Status
Not open for further replies.