No Microphone on my PC works at all.

zDiesel

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
I've built a custom pc myself a few months ago, and have found out that no microphone works on it.

I have three pairs of earphones all with in-built microphones that work fine on my laptop, but don't on my PC. The sound works fine with the earphones plugged into my PC, but when I change the port and plug it into the mic jack, It detects the microphone but picks up no sound at all.

This is the same with all three pairs of earphones, so it must be the PC.

I've looked online all day and can't find any answers. I've tried checking if its muted etc.

Need this fixed ASAP.
Appreciate any help you could give me.

Solution

Well that is the issue right there, PCs have a separate 3.5 mm cable for the microphone. You're going to need new headphones/earphones like that or then you could get a headset that uses a USB connection to transfer sound.

zDiesel

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
Yep, all drivers are up to date.

Re-installed my motherboard disc drivers today, and checked device manager for any updates... all are good.

Tried plugging it into the back, and still didn't fix it.

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

What kind of connectors do the mics/earphones use? Is it a single 3.5mm or two 3.5mm connectors?

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

Well that is the issue right there, PCs have a separate 3.5 mm cable for the microphone. You're going to need new headphones/earphones like that or then you could get a headset that uses a USB connection to transfer sound.

Solution

zDiesel

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
Yes I know, but what I was trying to do was
plug 1 earphones into sound
plug other earphones into mic jack and only wear the earphones that have sound, and just talk into the mic ones.

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

Well it seems that won't work. These different standards always seem to cause trouble...