No Nintendo 3DS For Your Children

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
... because we all know Postal 2 isn't actually rated for 18+, and Mario Kart DS isn't actually rated E for Everyone. Way to break the law there highspeed letting your little nephew play a Mature rated game, I'm sure he'll grow up to be a fine, model citizen one day. On the contrary, I've been on 3 combat tours, we actually love playing Mario Kart over here. It's all in how you look at it, we're grown ups playing "kids" games.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]Isn't the DS one of their biggest selling items? ...and to the youth age group? Why not continue to milk that cash-cow instead of trying to focus on an older age group that likely won't be interested in playing Pokemon in 3D?[/citation]
I take it you've not seen the game line up for the 3DS yet? Here's a sampling of the titles announced targeting the older market.

2 Resident Evil games.
Metal Gear Solid.
Super Street Fighter IV.
Ace Combat.
Assassin's Creed.
Contra.
Dead Or Alive.
Driver.
Ninja Gaiden.
Ridge Racer.
Saints Row.
Ghost Recon.
Splinter Cell.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I've Been saying for years that 3DTV and Games are bad for your health of your eyes.

Because when I was a Kid we had 3d Games on the PC already and they failed because of headaches, seizures and other Eye issues.

We also had 3d Games in the Form of "Virtual Boy" and similar platforms, and 3D TV via glasses, Which also failed for the same reasons. The World Tried 3DTV/Games and it Failed in 1990, This is so stupid. Lets take 3DTV which was dangerous at 320x240 QVGA Resolutions and Rehash it at higher HDTV Resolutions to make it even more dangerous.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]skatezilla[/nom]I've Been saying for years that 3DTV and Games are bad for your health of your eyes.Because when I was a Kid we had 3d Games on the PC already and they failed because of headaches, seizures and other Eye issues.We also had 3d Games in the Form of "Virtual Boy" and similar platforms, and 3D TV via glasses, Which also failed for the same reasons. The World Tried 3DTV/Games and it Failed in 1990, This is so stupid. Lets take 3DTV which was dangerous at 320x240 QVGA Resolutions and Rehash it at higher HDTV Resolutions to make it even more dangerous.[/citation]
I played the 3DS for several hours at E3 and found none of the common fatigue and headache maladies associated with classic 3D gaming. And this notion is repeated by the thousands of other journalists and game developers at E3 that also partook in checking out the 3DS.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Kids who end up playing 3D.. Just hope it doesn't mess their visual abilities when time comes for driving a vehicle. Like seeing a car 50 meters further than it actually is...

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]I take it you've not seen the game line up for the 3DS yet? Here's a sampling of the titles announced targeting the older market. 2 Resident Evil games.Metal Gear Solid.Super Street Fighter IV.Ace Combat.Assassin's Creed.Contra.Dead Or Alive.Driver.Ninja Gaiden.Ridge Racer.Saints Row.Ghost Recon.Splinter Cell.[/citation]

As a 21-year old, amen.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Please die 3D.Sure it's great, but what does it add? A Headache?[/citation]
Didn't read my post up there did you? It doesn't generate a headache like older 3D methods did.

As for what it adds, a sense of depth that gives a more natural perspective of the game.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]skatezilla[/nom]I've Been saying for years that 3DTV and Games are bad for your health of your eyes.Because when I was a Kid we had 3d Games on the PC already and they failed because of headaches, seizures and other Eye issues.We also had 3d Games in the Form of "Virtual Boy" and similar platforms, and 3D TV via glasses, Which also failed for the same reasons. The World Tried 3DTV/Games and it Failed in 1990, This is so stupid. Lets take 3DTV which was dangerous at 320x240 QVGA Resolutions and Rehash it at higher HDTV Resolutions to make it even more dangerous.[/citation]If 3D isn't your thing, you don't have to use 3D displays. But 3D tech isn't going to stay the same forever, and there isn't any reason to fight technological progress.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]skatezilla[/nom]I've Been saying for years that 3DTV and Games are bad for your health of your eyes.Because when I was a Kid we had 3d Games on the PC already and they failed because of headaches, seizures and other Eye issues.We also had 3d Games in the Form of "Virtual Boy" and similar platforms, and 3D TV via glasses, Which also failed for the same reasons. The World Tried 3DTV/Games and it Failed in 1990, This is so stupid. Lets take 3DTV which was dangerous at 320x240 QVGA Resolutions and Rehash it at higher HDTV Resolutions to make it even more dangerous.[/citation]

Some people throughout history just love to be the stubborn mules that resist change. There were people that called books dangerous for killing the spoken word, radio for killing books, television for radio, etc. Advancement is always a good thing.

G

at least the kids would start developing a natural 3D-capable eyes and pass that gene to their children later in life.. that is called EVOLUTION..

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
This issue is true with all forms of 3D technology out on the market today...

The 3DS just compounds the problem since it's a mobile gaming device, this simply means there is much more potential for use and kids will be more likely to be subject to the 3D effect for much longer periods of time versus watching the occasional 3D movie.

G

now we can be blind and have a fked up arm. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Status
Not open for further replies.