No power in my toshiba laptop!!

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Hi guys.. I hope you can help!

My toshiba laptops keyboard recently stopped working.. So i fully powered down the laptop, Removed the battery and then held the power button for 30seconds. Hopefully this would of refreshed everything.. How wrong was i? I have no power at all in the laptop now.

I Have tried the battery and power cable in another exact laptop and work fine.. What else could i try?

Thanks for reading
Josh

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
The keyboard didnt work, So i was advised on the Toshiba website to try a hard power reset. Which I did, since I have done the power reset I am not getting any power at all to the laptop! no LEDs either.

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Tried both/with battery alone/with lead alone. Still no LEDs and power at all.

The model of the laptop is Toshiba Satellite. I am not home right now, i can post exact model number later.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Ok does not sound good as it could be motherboard or if your lucky it might be a failed DC jack? As your laptop is not working no power lights and you were using the correct power lead before it died? I would be looking internally If you know anyone who is good with a meter or maybe you are you could check the continuity on the cable in this video link below also a Toshiba Satellite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgiu22v7Abw
You might be better taking to a repair shop
If you go to the trouble of looking inside yourself I can only advise you should remove battery and power supply purchase a anti static wrist strap. You may find that cable has just come loose inside check the connection on the motherboard also if the power button has broken it would not turn on?

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
My only concern is if your battery was good and fully charged then it might not be the power jack could be motherboard related or faulty power on button.
Edit You could get someone to check if your laptop battery is drained of power that could be why your keyboard locked up it as your laptop was trying to shut down due to a low charge state.

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
But both the Charger & Battery were working fine before I did the Hard power cycle reset. The only reason I did the reset was because it advised me on the Toshiba Website. I have another identical laptop and have tried both battery's in each others laptops and the laptop I have power too works still along with the charger. So I am totally baffled as to why I have completely lost power just by removing the battery??

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I'm only saying where I would look next you don;t have any lights coming on the laptop? Toshiba laptops are know to have a issue with power buttons I have a Toshiba laptop i5 3D modal A665 I'm waiting for the day the power button goes. The usual sign is it turns on then goes off but that's if its power button is stuck down, your power button may not be making contact when you press it on. Then it could be something else. I have heard some people with a similar problem to yours put their laptop away for a while then come back to it a couple of months later low and behold it's all working again.
I also have a 9 year old packard bell which i replaced memory in and DVD rom recently this is what I normally use as it still very quick
I fix friends and family's PC's laptops for fun so that's how I keep on top of things. I'm 53 years old since I was 15 been playing with ZX81, spectrum's,XT's 286,386,486 to recent PC, LAPTOPS hardware and software. I really don't want you to take your laptop apart or go and get an expensive repair bill.
Pop it away for a while and see if it fires up in a couple of weeks to a month if not I would say somethings dead.

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Ok thanks anyways Spartacus, This laptop Is not even a year old and still may be in warranty. I just found it extremely strange how one minute I have power, then to the next nothing at all! If you can suggest me doing anything else please advise

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Believe it or not even very new items go wrong if you can't fix it with a hard reset I can't advise you further. No power lights are either system in sleep or hibernate state or something's dead the hard reset kills the sleep/hibernate state lock up? Phone Toshiba and asked if they have other idea's

Just found this on a forum try

I just bought this new laptop (Satellite C55-B5200) a couple days ago, and when I got home, I plugged it in an it was working just fine. Later that night, I had put it in sleep mode for a couple hours. When I came back to turn it on, it wouldn't. The power button didn't work at all, and it wasn't till I plugged it in that it turned on. Yesterday, I turned it off because I left again, and when I came back, the same issue occurred; only this time, it was harder for the laptop to read that the charger cord was in. The light didn't come on until after 3 or 4 tries of taking the cord out of the socket, waiting 10 seconds, then putting it back in.

Joshinkii

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Ill give it a try, I have also just read up that holding down the power cord for around 1 minute to ensure there's no electricity still inside. I seriously just find it strange how from just me removing the battery - I have no power what so ever now?!

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Another thing you could try at home as there are many models of Satellite who knows what Tosh have set on yours? Try holding down the fn key usully near the left shift key by the space bar and press the upper row of Function keys try the ones with symbols resembling square,screen or pc? on my tosh it's f5 but might be f9.
The other thing is hold the power button down for a while not too hard though don't wan't to break it just to see if it fires up but you may have already done that?
I'm assuming your laptop is permanently stuck in sleep mode and just needs wakening. But a hard reset usually sorts this issue out but maybe something is still holding a constant charge locking it up could an internal battery like the bios battery.
The fn and correct function key can bring it out of sleep.
Good luck I have to go out now.