No sound w/ Firestick in HDMI 2

Ryn996

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
From my mother in-law that lives in another state:
She has a Sony TV and surround sound (the one with the tiny, tiny speakers)

...well we had to change from Verizon (now Frontier) Fios back to Brighthouse since Frontier is not easy to work with. the good news is I now have a free HDMI port for my Firestick from Amazon.. bad news is I can't get sound out of the TV now when the firestick is in the HDMI 2.. we have the stupid surround sound and I don't know how to get it to make sound when I have the firestick plugged in there. I check it out on the TV in the bedroom (we got a new one the other day so we are up to date with TVS) and it works well.. I just don't want to have to sit in the bedroom to watch the shows.. I may need your assistance in figuring this out .. so frustrating.

Solution
Ok, so you are in method 2 area, you just don't have it hooked up right.

With your current configuration you have the cable box plugged into surround sound, but nothing else is plugged into surround sound and thus no other device plugged in to your TV will get sound from the surround sound.

So you need to remove the optical cable from the cable box to surround sound.
Have all video sources (cable box, firestick, etc) plugged into TV via HDMI.
Have that optical cable going from TV to surround receiver.
You will likely need to set TV to output audio to external speakers and may also need to configure cable box to output sound via HDMI again.
Then surround Receiver will always be on TV.
Sony TV and "surround sound" is very uninformative. In absolutely no way helps us determine what ports are available or anything else useful.

First of all, does the HDMI port the firestick is plugged into say DVI or Monitor or PC? If so then this port has no audio through the HDMI port.

Surround systems are hooked up via 1 of 2 methods.
Method 1 - TV is output only:
Equipment is pugged into surround sound receiver via HDMI, surround receiver then outputs video via HDMI
For this setup you need to plug firestick into surround receiver.

Method 2 - Audio out to Reciever.
Equipment plugged into TV HDMI ports, then TV outputs audio via either optical toslink connection or RCA (older white/red plug cable) to audio input on receiver.
For this setup, firestick should be plugged into normal HDMI port on TV, and tv should already be configured to output all audio to external source.

Ryn996

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to reply. TV model is KDL40V3000. Surround Sound system is HCD-IS10...home theater in a box with DVD player.

She has an HDMI cable going from the TV to the cable box. From the cable box to the surround sound system is a fiber optic (her description) cable. Surround sound is set to "TV" to get sound when watching TV. Seems like this is Method 2 and she should plug the Firestick into the TV. Is that correct?

Ok, so you are in method 2 area, you just don't have it hooked up right.

With your current configuration you have the cable box plugged into surround sound, but nothing else is plugged into surround sound and thus no other device plugged in to your TV will get sound from the surround sound.

So you need to remove the optical cable from the cable box to surround sound.
Have all video sources (cable box, firestick, etc) plugged into TV via HDMI.
Have that optical cable going from TV to surround receiver.
You will likely need to set TV to output audio to external speakers and may also need to configure cable box to output sound via HDMI again.
Then surround Receiver will always be on TV.

Solution