Solved! no surround sound with HDD and Samsung one connect box

Dec 10, 2019
Guys, I guess I just spent an ridiculous amount of money just to discover that the premium line from Samsung in not so much premium. I bought the QE55Q90 TV with the HW-Q90R Soundbar.

By now I understood that the promised earc update is probably not coming and I understood that Samsung removed the DTS licensees. Would I have known this before I would have never bought this set up.

My next problem here is that I do not get surround sound when I plug in my HDD to the USB port from the one connect box. I have the soundbar connected to the tv with arc hdmi ports and the hdd to the one connect box, nothing else. My assumption is that Samsung here has as well some ridiculous and “customer friendly” restriction.

Am I doing something wrong or is this really the case? Thanks for the help…

Solution
ARC is to get audio from the TV to the soundbar.
If you have the HDD and other sources connected to the one box then you should connect the soundbar to the one box. ARC and optical are the same quality so use either one.
If your files support lossless audio and Atmos then get a Android box (or use a PC) that allows you to play files off the HDD. That will have an HDMI output that you can connect directly to the soundbar. No eARC required since you don't go through the TV for audio.
If you have the HDD and other sources connected to the one box then you should connect the soundbar to the one box. ARC and optical are the same quality so use either one.
If your files support lossless audio and Atmos then get a Android box (or use a PC) that allows you to play files off the HDD. That will have an HDMI output that you can connect directly to the soundbar. No eARC required since you don't go through the TV for audio.

Reactions: ggg_123
Solution
Dec 10, 2019

Thank you. Apparently I was not pricise enough. The soundbar is already connected to the TV through the OneConectBox.

So do I understand you correctly? Instead of using an external HDD with USB I could use some android box and connect it via HDMI and problems solved? How do these boxes work, They are simply small pcs where I can stream or upload my movie to which gets streamed to the TV?

thanks