No USB INTERNET DVD!

Chink411

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi guys,

Problems with a laptop from a friend.. Winxp. (Want to install Win7)

The DVD drive is recognized in the bios but not in the folder my computer or hardware management.. The USB ports don't work either aswell as the internet port.. How can he install Win7?

Solution
You should be able to boot the laptop directly from the DVD (optical drive) upon system startup. You can set the boot order (in the BIOS) to pick the USB DVD first or manually select it (many systems use F11 or F12 to allow you to manually select a boot device) and then install Win 7 from there.

Keep in mind that you can't directly upgrade XP to Win 7. To initiate the Win 7 install from within XP, you have to install the USB (and your network drivers seems to be missing as well) drivers first.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You should be able to boot the laptop directly from the DVD (optical drive) upon system startup. You can set the boot order (in the BIOS) to pick the USB DVD first or manually select it (many systems use F11 or F12 to allow you to manually select a boot device) and then install Win 7 from there.

Keep in mind that you can't directly upgrade XP to Win 7. To initiate the Win 7 install from within XP, you have to install the USB (and your network drivers seems to be missing as well) drivers first.

Solution

Chink411

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for the reply!
I already tried to boot the Win7 from startup but the Win7 suddenly stops booting into setup and the installed WinXp starts booting again. The DVD drive's led is burning and no weird sound coming from it plus the bios is recognizing it so I geus it should be ok.. I don't own a laptop,so I don't know much about it.. Yeah I already knew I need to format the HHD or SSD (forgot wich is in it but doesn't realy matter).. think its drivers problem aswell they are there somewhere but moved to a different folder or corrupted(or removed and the pc thinks its still there).. "Nothing shows up in HardwareManagement so I can't fix drivers.. I only managed to get in Hardware Management tru right clicking My Computer and click Properties,from there choose Hardware.. No hardware showing,view hidden applied.. Aswell there is no USB port or DVD drive to get/fix drivers.." Some other guy was going to look at it around this week so I will post the fix if I get to hear it.

DVD DRIVE WAS BROKEN,THNKS FOR THE REPLY'S

Chink411

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Your probaly right about the drivers bcz no error code nothing..
The Win7 suddenly stops booting into install setup and starts booting the installed WinXp..

Chink411

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
If I could boot then I would be able to instal Win7.
Anyway I don't know anything about Linux ,2years ago I didn't even knew the words boot/gpu etc. :p
Thanks for the reply!