No Web Browser for Xbox 360, Says Greenberg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Browsing on the PS3 sucks. I don't what you guys are talking about when you say "another reason the PS3 is better." Have you ever actually used the browser and enjoyed your experience? I sure haven't. I used it once to see what it was all about and that's the last time I used it. It is god awful.

I don't care at all if there is no Xbox 360 browser. Considering there is no keyboard and mouse support I would never use it even if it were available. Any streaming I might want to do can either be done via Netflix or done by making my 360 a media center extender. I really can't figure out why I would want a browser in the first place.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I really can't figure out why I would want a browser in the first place.[/citation] Having a cool home page as a splash screen? Or one of a million other cool hacks?

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
A web browser on the 360 is not a feature I'd miss.

I've tried my mates PS3 as a web browser and to save his feelings all I said was "Hmm Interesting!"

I have 9 other devices in the house that connect to the web in a far more substantial manner than any console so its pretty pointless.

In this day and oge though its about being given more crappy compromised choices than fewer actual real good ones.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Even the Wii has a web browser, give me a browser for XBox 360, and let me (consumer) decide if it is viable or not. The "feature" double-talk coming out of MS, and Apple is exhausting. Stop telling me what I do or don't want!

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sailfish[/nom]If he were honest he'd simply admit that they don't want people getting video content from the X360 without making sure micro$~1 gets some action from it. Claiming to know what consumers don't want is arrogant to the max. Another reason why the PS3 is a better buy today, imo.[/citation]

How about being able to stream to your Xbox from netflix or any video share in the house? Let's head back down to our basement and know what we are talking about before putting our foot in our mouth, k?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Microsoft has no plans to allow gamers to surf the Internet with the Xbox 360.

Give it 2 months tops and we will no doubt see one. They seem to have a habit of saying they wont do something and then doing it anyway.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That also could be a security reason too, if the browser gets hacked and they take over their xbox, plus that's another thing that you need to throw time and resources at when many people prefer their system as is. I also agree that the PS3's web browser sucks, then again I prefer my pc monitor over my tv anyways.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I agree entirely.

I have a HTPC connected to my 42" TV. Browsing sucks on it. I have the Wii w/ Opera connected to said TV as well. Browsing sucks on it. The overall experience of browsing on a device connected to a TV is worse than on even a mobile phone, imho.

Now, both of these devices have a mouse or mouse-type device. I can't imagine how bad browsing would be on an Xbox360 or PS3.

But, I still say give the consume a choice. I would also like to be able to play AVCHD. There are a number of features that could be added to improve the overall value of the 360.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
It really is a nightmare to use IE from my PS3. I see no need for IE from my 360 either since its useless. And his point of view in optimizing anything related if it is to be intergrated into a console should be properly done and not just thrown into a console. Who of us would use IE from his console and not PC? I have everything hooked via HDMI in 1080p on my Samsung HDTV but nothing is any close to browsing from my PC even on the Samsung lovely big TV..

WTF do you need I.E. on your console? We all do have PCs.We cant be that lazy. Who is on here from his PS3? Its plain stupid.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I could care less. I have a laptop and desktop computer from which I can browse the Internet and more comfortably. When I'm on my XBox 360, I want to game or watch movies or related activities. Using the Internet on my XBox 360 would be more of a hassle and more annoying and less useful than if I got up, walked 10 feet, and sat down at my desk in front of my computer. I have browsed the Internet on my Wii and about the only thing that's useful for, in my opinion, is displaying Youtube videos on your television. It's a last resort system, and that's not enough reason to warrant putting a browser on the 360.

And... this is yet another time I keep seeing this. The XBox 360 has keyboard support! Get it right, people!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I remember back in the day when I used to use my sega dreamcast to surf the web. ( bought a $10 ethernet adapter for it back when it was popular.

Used to use it in the living room to watch flash videos (remember those old flash cartoons like 7th portal, the accuser, and many other flash videos :) Even though we only had a 32 inch CRT tv, it still looked good and text was readable and web pages fit the screen properly and they also loaded fast on my crappy 768/384 connection back in those days.

If a company like Sega could get ti right so many years ago, why cant Microsoft do it? are they a fraid that they will get sued by the IE department if they add it into the xbox 360?

With the console having USB ports, they could easily allow the use of a USB keyboard and mouse and give the full IE UI in the console when using the HD output. (most computer monitors are far less than 1920x1080 and web browsers work fine. I have used many web browsers on a 1024x600 screen before and it was fine)

Microsoft has no valid excuse as to why they cant add a web browser.

Microsoft was even able to add a web browser to windows mobile based pocket PC's, if people couldn't stand the quality of using a web browser on a TV then they would rather die than use a web browser on a small 640x480 pocket PC screen.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I use the browser on my PS3 almost as much as gaming/bluray. Its a bit more cumbersome than a PC, but so what, I can lounge on my couch instead of sitting at a desk. Plus, I stream alot of talk radio and youtube stuff. Works perfect for that.

I think Microsoft is scared of viruses...or just plain dumb.

Fractoman

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Just like Microsoft thought Heavy Rain wasn't a title that would be good for the PC gaming audience, aparently Microsoft is ignorant of what an HTPC does when it's hooked up to a HDTV. I game on my PC using a 42" LCD and I wouldn't have it any other way. Being able to stream video on my big-screen over the internet is truly awesome.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Microsoft doesn't worry a LOT about paid-for content. You wouldn't be able to stream divx/xvid to it if they did.

The idea that the folks who specialize in writing viruses for Windows moving over to 360 viruses is a LOT better reason to avoid letting them in. There's a lot of hate out there, and a good chunk is pointed toward Seattle...

bootleghooch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Maybe you all have 20 inch tvs that you sit on the floor in front of, but as someone with a larger TV who sits across the room on a couch like a normal person, the internet just isn't built for it. Regardless of whether I'm on my HTPC or my Wii. I'll admit I don't have a PS3, but I sure don't miss the feature on my 360. If I want to get on the internet from my couch, I'll pull out my laptop or my ipod touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.