Noise cancelling headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueMihai

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Hey, I live in a very loud enviroment, in a building with not so thick walls, and our neighbours and my family are both VERY VERY loud. Worst thing is that the children who aren´t yet even toddlers wake up at 5-6 am and after they have woken up it is impossible to sleep.
I´m looking for headphones with as good noice-cancelling as possible, and the usage would be both listening to music and gaming, there is no need for a mic since I have spare mics. So the features I am looking for are..
-Noise Cancelling
-Good for music
-Good for gaming
-I´m on a budget so cheaper is nicer.
-Should also be over ear, and preferrably have replaceable ear pads.

Solution
active noise cancelling headphones tend to distort sound (this is how they achieve the effect) and though some people seem to like it i find they sound strange.

my personal recommendation would be to get a pair of closed headphones which muffle outside noise in a passive way without distorting sound.

IEM's (the deep in ear style) will also have pretty crazy noise isolation properties (sometimes even better than closed cans!) but not everyone like in-ears and due to your preferences i dont think this is an option.

the dt770 are certainly nice for your needs but not exactly "cheap". good clarity, decent isolation, decent soundstage for closed cans.

the hd280 are fairly noise isolating for the money but also not all that stellar for...
it will work for pc definitely via the 3.5mm input. what i'm not sure about is if it will work via usb or not. ultimately its not a really big deal either way for the price.

i've seen mention of dt770-250 users using the fiio e18 so my guess would be yes, it should work.

BlueMihai

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Ok nothing important to say really other than I have now gotten the DT 770 PRO´s (250ohm) and I drive them (hope that that is the correct way to say this) trough the Fiio E-12 Mont Blanc. Again huge thank you !

it would be nice if you wrote up a little "first thoughts" response on the headphones. its always nice to hear firsthand how someone feels about them based on their wants/needs so we can use this information to help others with the same questions in the future.

BlueMihai

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
-First thoughts- (hehe)
The headphones are very - very good at isolating noise, it is as if when I put on these headphones I am disconnected from the world around me, and this is with the velour pads!
Sound quality is awesome, and the sound is not ´dull´ at all. (Like some other "good" headphones I have used)
The ear pads are easily removable, and replaceable, which is a plus.
As for gaming goes, I seem to be able to tell where the sounds are coming from quite well, but haven´t tried to enhance that with any software yet. (Asus Xonar D1 apparently comes with virtual surround features)
I was very surprised that these headphones were light to wear, and all around very comfortable, 6 hours in a row, no problems.
I really do not have anything to complain about, other than the looks :> .
I might add something to this later but at the moment I do not have the energy for that.

I´d say that these fill my needs perfectly. I am happy with my purchase!