Nokia: Hold Our Phones Anyway You Want

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

will nokia start doing to apple what apple's been doing to pc (microsoft)?
+ hi, i'm nokia
- hi, i'm apple... etc

oh, the irony....

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
So glad I have an old basic phone. Which was manufactured this year. =p

Jesus people, buy phones to use for CALLING people. not browsing the web, and talking to them on Facebook.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]So glad I have an old basic phone. Which was manufactured this year. =pJesus people, buy phones to use for CALLING people. not browsing the web, and talking to them on Facebook.[/citation]
Sorry, for me it is really helpful to be in a region where I have no free wi-fi and go "gee, I'll just plug my Omnia into my Cradlepoint PHS300 and connect up" (since Verizon has decent nation wide coverage, at least in most of the parts of the nation I've traveled).

Yes a phone is for calling, and a car is for driving - but some people do other things with them. My phone can still call, and when I am in Best Buy I can quickly check NewEgg for prices and reviews. If I don't have my camera or camcorder on me, I can take some pictures and video (which was useful when a lady waited for the car in front of me then decided to do a left turn into my driver side back door - I guess silver cars are the new invisible). If I am stuck at the grocery store for a half hour waiting for the cashier to catch up, I can always use my slingbox to catch a quick show. It is my scientific calculator when I don't have another one on me (again, useful at the grocers). It holds my lists, it is my appointment book, reminds me when key assignments are due, and gives me a quick weather forecast.

This is kinda like how I see people souping up there cars. I mean, MP3 players in a car? Its for driving - right? Also, what is the point of NASCAR, formula 1 racing, or racing in Baja. It is because not everyone uses their car just for work commuting and hauling stuff.

Of course, the fact that YOU want just a plain cell phone is fine by me. I work in IT and one of my coworkers is the same way. My wife and my mother prefer it that way. Just let me have it my way too - because my wife really appreciates it when I look up a show, restaurant, or directions (yes, my phone is my GPS unit also) when were in a new city.

Now, since I use a more complex phone, I accept that more can go wrong with it. My phone had a sticker on the bottom that said "avoid touching here", so I had to learn to grip the sides near the top (which means it is more easier to drop).

While iPhone users should expect some handling issues, when Apple touts their products at the perfectly engineered and just-works then tells users "your holding it wrong" then people are going to get offended. I think that is what is at the root here - those who are not big fans of Apple see it as a Corporate Nanny, trying to impose their way of holding it, their look, their apps, and their morals on you via their apps. Those who like Apple or see the strength in their products aren't quite as touchy. ;)

I agree ... groping the phone can cause discomfort to the phone and I am sure your alarm probably won't go off the next morning as a consequence.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]So glad I have an old basic phone. Which was manufactured this year. =pJesus people, buy phones to use for CALLING people. not browsing the web, and talking to them on Facebook.[/citation]

WHy would I spend 10 minutes talking to you when all I want is a yes or no answer.

procyon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Nice jab by Nokia - but too bad their lineup looks stale compared to the competition.[/citation]

Atleast they have a lineup :). Apple's like the USSR; one model is good enough for the whole population ;)

No matter how great those iPhones are, I can always find a model that suits me better and I couldn't care less about the brand. But I understand how easy it is to go with the flow...

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]compfreak93[/nom]where do i go to learn how to correctly hold my iphone4?[/citation]

You don't hold an iPhone, you toss it!

Sorry, couldn't resist a little anti-Apple humor.

:D

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple has only one phone model, iphone, which has technology stolen from Nokia. Nokia has tens if not hundreds of models. No signal loss has been discovered officially. Some youtube sucker with one faulty phone proves nothing. And E71 is ancient phone, latest of series is E73.

Status
Not open for further replies.