Nokia Reveals Camera Phone With a 41-megapixel Sensor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]39MP from a compact cam; tiny lens and all.So you get low light noise of course and you edit these 38MP images on a 2MP (1920x1080) TV screen we get offered for review over and over.I smell a PR stunt and MP 'bragging rights' for the technologically ignorant again.I rather stick with an 8MP SLR and a big fat lens attached to it ![/citation]

i would to, but phones are craptastic when it comes to image quality, mp boost would help them quite a bit... if the crappy pic is bigger, it has some amount of more detail... and if the pics are even decent, it would be nice to have in your pocket for when you don't bring the dslr

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Some great examples here:http://mynokiablog.com/2012/02/27/ [...] d-enhance/[/citation]

those are great, and resized... i want unaltered full size pictures before i say something is good or not... though it is decent... better than i expect from a phone.

[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Holy Megapixels batman!!But lets be honest...You can get a super high mega pixel picture but it will still look like crap if you don't have a good lense/optics.[/citation]

but when you expect the picture to be crap regardless, higher megapixel helps to un suck it a bit.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Pure BS.
just check ebay. you have small cameras with 32mp for less then 50$. a complete crap due the the optics. still much better then the phone.

to have some quality you need good lenses. good lenses means bigger size. there's no other way around. if great quality could be achieved at a smaller size then flagship DSLR's would be half size and weight a fraction.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I think they missed the boat with this one. If they had used WP7 with some imaging tweaks they could have something with major appeal just with marketed specs. They have always done a good job with image quality on their phones.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
This is stupid for a number of reasons but I'll just mention 2:

1. It's Symbian
2. You only get 16Gb with the phone (it has a giant camera!)

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]leakingpaint[/nom]This is stupid for a number of reasons but I'll just mention 2:1. It's Symbian2. You only get 16Gb with the phone (it has a giant camera!)[/citation]

You can add memory cards of up to 32 GB and it has USB on the Go capabilities.

Anyhow the point of the camera it`s to oversample pictures with a final result of 8 MP or 5 MP with superior quality than the pictures of 8 MP that other phones take, no to use the full 41 (or 38 ) MP.

This same characteristic makes that camera capable of using zoom of up to 3x without losing quality on Full HD video, up to 6x in HD and up to 12x in VGA.

It`s never gonna make DSLR quality photos but with a sensor of 1/1.2", Carl Zeiss optics and real (non LED) flash it leaves other cellphone cameras in the dust and gives some point and shoots a run for its money, especially if you only have to carry one gadget with you.

robot_army

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
i heard the lenses in this camera were of better quality than some found in a DSLR lens due to the size and precision needed.....

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well, actually this is really smart camera phone! The idea behind this is really guite clever. I was allso choked when I fist time read the headline 41megapixel... ore they out of their head?
But the idea is oversampling and actual image is not so big and the guality is better that you would expect from mobile phone.
Lets hope that MS gets out of it's next mobile windows soon that can actually use the hardware that is needed for this monster!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
A decent 5 megapixel dslr offers better image quality and larger prints than a average 16 megapixel point and shoot.

The issue with many high megapixel count cameras is that the detail based resolution rarely increases.

to test the true megapixels of camera, do a resolution chart test where you snap a picture and see the smallest detail it can show.

Many point and shoot level cameras put through this test will often have poor results, eg you will see 16 megapixel point and shoot cameras only offering around 2-3 megapixels of actual detail

If the industry standard could be to base cameras on their resolution chart test, you would not see a single point and shoot camera rated above 4 megapixels

All in all, even though the sensor may be 41 megapixels, you most likely wont be taking wide shots and cropping the area you need, or you will get a blurry mess.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Wonder how long it would take to compress a 38mp raw image into jpeg using a single core 1.3ghz cpu with 512mb ram and write to the microsd? Maybe they should put in a dual-core cpu and 1gb ram at least.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think if you look at the sample shots Nokia provided a day later, it would prove the usual "blah blah megapixels, no optics" whine to rest.

Those images are on par with micro4/3 lens cameras. That's a huge feat.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think if you look at the sample shots Nokia provided a day later, it would prove the usual "blah blah megapixels, no optics" whine to rest.Those images are on par with micro4/3 lens cameras. That's a huge feat.[/citation]

So did you notice anything funny about them ? How the girl is in focus when is far away from that guy in same picture? Did you check the EXIF info? With no anti-shake tech... and shooting from that angle it is imposible to get a cristal clear picture!

G

let's see. a 41MP picture. Wonder how long it takes for a mobile processor to process and store to the card? 20sec? 40sec? for in between shots? Instead of focusing on inproving the phone aspect you stuck your head into any other hole. Nokia you fail...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]So did you notice anything funny about them ? How the girl is in focus when is far away from that guy in same picture? Did you check the EXIF info? With no anti-shake tech... and shooting from that angle it is imposible to get a cristal clear picture![/citation]

All depends on how fast the sensor / hardware is, this phone have a totally new sensor designed for satellites. I for one wont speak until i tested it myself rather than prejudge.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
htcs new camera chip sound more interesting with things like continuous shooting. mp is only on of many things that make a great camera.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
You can add memory cards of up to 32 GB and it has USB on the Go capabilities.

Anyhow the point of the camera it`s to oversample pictures with a final result of 8 MP or 5 MP with superior quality than the pictures of 8 MP that other phones take, no to use the full 41 (or 38 ) MP.

Thanks for clearing that up!

But I think my point about the storage is valid. These shots will undoubtedly be a much larger file size than regular 8MP because of the quality of the camera and I still maintain that symbian is simply not as good as Android or the newer windows based phones.

What I don't understand is why some windows 7 phones are so cluncky when it comes to removable storage. Had it been easier to implement then this could have been a great windows phone. Symbian is old fashioned - you can't deny that there are obvious benefits to using operating systems like Android or apples OS or windows 7.

Having a nice camera doesn't justify buying a brand new phone that will probably cost the earth. There are other smart phones with better OS' and decent cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.