Nokia Shoots PureView Promo with Phone's 41-MP Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]What better promotion than to show what can be done. Good job Nokia.[/citation]
you mean to show what can be done... at 720p.
If this was of any real quality there would be a 1080p setting for the video player.

Besides, what are you going to display a 41mp on? your 1080p TV that can only show 2mp? Or are you going to purchase a $30+K 4K TV that can display at 8.6mp?
Really, anything above 10-12mp is just a gimmick for anyone other than professionals who are printing their content.
What really matters is the bit depth, compression, optics, and color accuracy, and those come at a high cost for those who know better.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]you mean to show what can be done... at 720p.If this was of any real quality there would be a 1080p setting for the video player.Besides, what are you going to display a 41mp on? your 1080p TV that can only show 2mp? Or are you going to purchase a $30+K 4K TV that can display at 8.6mp?Really, anything above 10-12mp is just a gimmick for anyone other than professionals who are printing their content.What really matters is the bit depth, compression, optics, and color accuracy, and those come at a high cost for those who know better.[/citation]

you really dont understand this phone at all...
try watching that video, and look at the movements people are making. the only thing that blurs because of speed is the guitar string.

look at the photos on line that the thing took.

you take a 38mp picture, and resize it to 5mp, you would be VERY hard pressed to find a better stand alone outside of slr range.

you don't care about quality all that much... well than you take 1 big image, and you can zoom in, and you know what, it STILL look better than MANY of the stand alone cameras i see pictures of today.

G

Thanks for all the good info!!!
Hardware.gif

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Of course it's nowhere as good as a DSLR camera. The point is most people don't usually carry a DSLR camera everywhere concerning their size and weight, neither could they be used for web browsing or phoning. Hence it's clear Nokia aims the occasional amateur photographer not the professional.

All these things considered it must be a great phone but whoever is interested should see it in action and also try the browser. That because... I'm sure your work mate is to call you insane for spending over $600 on a Symbian phone rather than the latest Android or even an iPhone.

Side note: it has a MicroSD slot for up to 32GB expansion unlike the Lumia series...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]any half way decent sub 100$ cameras? im asking because you seem to know the most... been looking for years for something cheap thats decent, and cant get dslr because i am very cheap... i dont mind used, so long as its sd and works.[/citation]

For sub 100, it is difficult to get good high res sharp images, the most common issues with the sub $100 cameras, are the lens and the image noise. The cheaper sensors will usually start to give very noticeable image noise at ISO 400 and up, so to get decent quality images in doors, you may end up forcing a low ISO and using flash at all times in doors, or for larger indoor spaces (eg a dance hall or wedding, you may need up having to buy an external flash)

The next issue that will come is with the lens, the most common issue with cheaper lenses, are vignetting and fringing. (the vignetting can be corrected in post production but fringing requires a lot of manual work to properly fix. While many image editors will have a tool to reduce fringing, since fringing is not uniform, to completely remove it, you will have to manually edit the image

if you are willing to go used, you can get a powershot sx130 is for $115 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHNG8/sr=8-3/qid=1335294234/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1335294234&sr=8-3&seller=

but just remember when getting used that you wont have a warranty.

the sx130is is a very good point and shoot for the price and has support for chdk so you can mod the firmware and get camera raw functions and a ton of manual controls

review of the sx130 is

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4498&review=canon+powershot+sx130

it is an overall good camera and gets around 4 mega pixels of detail on it's lowest ISO

PS a firmware such as CHDK will offer significant image quality improvements over stock (mainly when it comes to color quality)

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, photographed with the phone, footage post processed to hell so it would look better before releasing the commercial to the masses.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Of course it's nowhere as good as a DSLR camera. The point is most people don't usually carry a DSLR camera everywhere concerning their size and weight, neither could they be used for web browsing or phoning. Hence it's clear Nokia aims the occasional amateur photographer not the professional.All these things considered it must be a great phone but whoever is interested should see it in action and also try the browser. That because... I'm sure your work mate is to call you insane for spending over $600 on a Symbian phone rather than the latest Android or even an iPhone.Side note: it has a MicroSD slot for up to 32GB expansion unlike the Lumia series...[/citation]

or get a phone to... i dont know... call people... maybe take the occasional picture... and not try to completely replace a computer with one.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Why does it look like everything is looking through rippled glass? Video has to much motion to see the real detail. Pictures and video's don't look any different from any other modern HD camera's i've seen.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
yep that video is post processed to hell and back.

With enough post processing, you can make almost any camera look good.

for example check out what the film riot show has done with cellphones in the past.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]For sub 100, it is difficult to get good high res sharp images, the most common issues with the sub $100 cameras, are the lens and the image noise. The cheaper sensors will usually start to give very noticeable image noise at ISO 400 and up, so to get decent quality images in doors, you may end up forcing a low ISO and using flash at all times in doors, or for larger indoor spaces (eg a dance hall or wedding, you may need up having to buy an external flash)The next issue that will come is with the lens, the most common issue with cheaper lenses, are vignetting and fringing. (the vignetting can be corrected in post production but fringing requires a lot of manual work to properly fix. While many image editors will have a tool to reduce fringing, since fringing is not uniform, to completely remove it, you will have to manually edit the imageif you are willing to go used, you can get a powershot sx130 is for $115 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] -3&seller=but just remember when getting used that you wont have a warranty.the sx130is is a very good point and shoot for the price and has support for chdk so you can mod the firmware and get camera raw functions and a ton of manual controlsreview of the sx130 is http://www.digitalcamerareview.com [...] shot+sx130it is an overall good camera and gets around 4 mega pixels of detail on it's lowest ISOPS a firmware such as CHDK will offer significant image quality improvements over stock (mainly when it comes to color quality)[/citation]

thank you, i'm defiantly looking into it.

G

Every single comment on here missed the point of this device.
The keyword is even in the handset's name itself "PureView"
The big deal with this phone is that it uses the PureView Pro imaging technology.

At first the only way to zoom with out losing detail, was to utilize optical zoom.
Now there's this Nokia-developed PureView Pro tech that allows the person to zoom at up to 12x with out ANY loss of detail and still retain the resolution specified (e.g 2MP, 5MP, 8MP, etc..)

The point is not that this phone has a 41MP sensor. That's not even what Nokia is marketing this device under.
This is all about the PureView Pro technology.

On the phones optics itself, the 41MP sensor is bigger than most PoS cameras out there. The camera has a built in automatically activated ND filter that filters out strong light. The lens are manufactured by Carl Zeiss which most likely is the manufacturer of the lens you have on your DSLR right now.

So as far as picture quality goes, the Nokia 808 comes very close to DSLR territory.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]There is no such thing as "decent digital zoom" it's the same as making a photo larger using photoshop, it will look like ass. Optical zoom is the only way to keep the resolution[/citation]Your comparison is flawed, in that you're not really comparing two images. If you take two images of the same thing, one 8MP, another 16MP, and zoom in equally on both, the 16MP image will fare a whole lot better.

By the same token, when you have 41MP to start with, and good Zeiss optics, you actually can zoom in and still have a tolerable image. It won't be as high resolution, might "only" be a 5-10MP image now. But it doesn't have to be "blurry". Certainly it's much better than digital zoom on a phone camera that starts life at around 10MP with cheap optics.

If you want the best zoom, yes, you have to go optical. But that's just not practical in a phone. So you need a dedicated camera if you are really serious. But it's still nice to have a decent camera on your phone, especially if you are an ordinary joe that snaps the occasional picture and appreciates the extra headroom and nice quality, compared to other phones. It doesn't hurt to push the boundaries of phone shooters. Find me a better phone camera and THEN whinge all you want.
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]This is a bunch of BS marketing, the MP rating on a sensor this small is a JOKE do yourself a favor a go buy a decent DSLR...[/citation]This thing isn't meant to replace a DSLR. It's a phone, it's meant to replace another phone.

But why is the MP rating BS? The image sensor is massive compared to other phones. What's the iPhone 4s sensor produce? How big is that sensor? Oh and people are impressed by how good the iPhone's camera is (for a phone). OK now look at how much bigger this sensor is... do some math. Maybe it's actually pretty decent compared to other phones.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
41 is a nice number! only way to make ppl believe its better, putting out a random number bigger then the previous one... I love brains =)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]41 is a nice number! only way to make ppl believe its better, putting out a random number bigger then the previous one... I love brains =)[/citation]

it is...
let me expalin it in a way you may understand better.

this is a 41mp sensor that takes photos i believe at 38mp, and can be set to a 5mp mode where it takes a 38mp photo and shrinks it to a 5mp photo... and in that mode, my god is the image high quality, when i say you will be hard pressed to find better outside of dslr... i'm not exagurateing.

i would love to see high mp sensors in every camera from now on... sure at that high number the photo may look like crap... but at a smaller 5-12 mp, photo will look immaculate.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Actually, the pixels are used for zooming in without loss in quality. The default output of the phone is 5MP. They had to work and spend on a newly designed large sensor with a billion pixels so that zooming in works fast and without loss of image quality. Making a phone with an optical zoom lens would not be easy, expensive, slow to react, huge, and ugly.

This can actually replace the cheap digital cameras out there, only expensively. Its a nice camera but the phone is not. For now, this is a niche for people who loves photography and uses the phone primarily for texts and calls.

[citation][nom]bigg_cheese[/nom]High resolution means nothing if they don't have the features of the standalone cameras. The biggest of which is Optical zoom. Even the iphone can't do that without a third-party "add-on." Next, you have actual, GOOD, image stabilization. Camera phones are a huge "stand perfectly still or the picture is ruined."[/citation]

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wonder, why not take a DSLR, eg a Canon T3i then add a 4 inch screen, GPS, cellphone radio, wifi, and bluetooth, then port the camera software over to android, then essentially have a smartphone with a built in DSLR camera :)

Or design a phone from the ground up that incorporates a DSLR camera

did a mockup a while back

http://i.imgur.com/0Y1TE.jpg

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Your comparison is flawed, in that you're not really comparing two images. If you take two images of the same thing, one 8MP, another 16MP, and zoom in equally on both, the 16MP image will fare a whole lot better.By the same token, when you have 41MP to start with, and good Zeiss optics, you actually can zoom in and still have a tolerable image. It won't be as high resolution, might "only" be a 5-10MP image now. But it doesn't have to be "blurry". Certainly it's much better than digital zoom on a phone camera that starts life at around 10MP with cheap optics.If you want the best zoom, yes, you have to go optical. But that's just not practical in a phone. So you need a dedicated camera if you are really serious. But it's still nice to have a decent camera on your phone, especially if you are an ordinary joe that snaps the occasional picture and appreciates the extra headroom and nice quality, compared to other phones. It doesn't hurt to push the boundaries of phone shooters. Find me a better phone camera and THEN whinge all you want.This thing isn't meant to replace a DSLR. It's a phone, it's meant to replace another phone.But why is the MP rating BS? The image sensor is massive compared to other phones. What's the iPhone 4s sensor produce? How big is that sensor? Oh and people are impressed by how good the iPhone's camera is (for a phone). OK now look at how much bigger this sensor is... do some math. Maybe it's actually pretty decent compared to other phones.[/citation]
I'm talking about zooming in further than 100% of course

Status
Not open for further replies.