Question Camera Comparison Question -

Aug 27, 2023
Hey y'all -

I'm looking at new phones, and have a question about cameras that I'm hoping you can help with.

Looking at the side by side reviews from the web page - The OnePlus Nord N30 clearly doesn't take as good of pictures as the Google Pixel 7A. Yet, with the N30 has a 108mp camera sensor and the &a has "only" 64 camera sensor.
Is it reasonable to assume that using the Google Camera App (to leverage Google's AI processing) on the N30 would give at least comparable pictures to the 7A? Would they be better?

I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman geologist - but more pixels on the sensor + the same software should give better pictures, right? Or am I missing something obvious?

Along that line, the Motorola Edge Plus, OnePlus 11, Zenfone 10 and Pixel 7 pro all have 50 mp main cameras. In the Edge Plus review, the only knock seems to be the camera performance. "Ultimately, I'd have a hard time picking Motorola's phone over the Galaxy S23 Plus, Pixel 7 Pro or even the OnePlus 11, as those phones offer cameras that perform a little bit more consistently than the ones on the Motorola Edge Plus."
Could that be alleviated with using the Google Camera App?

Thanks in advance, for the input.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You can't compare raw megapixel numbers in hopes of determining which camera is better.

How do they arrive at that mp value?
Merging multiple images from multiple lenses?
All from one lens?
Lens type and material?
What software is doing this?
etc, etc.

I have a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless camera, 16MP. Now 9 years old.
I'll bet it takes better pics than either of those phones.

Now, I know its not fair comparing a real camera to the phone cameras. But that was just to show that the megapixel number is not the sole determinant.

Aug 27, 2023
You can't compare raw megapixel numbers in hopes of determining which camera is better.

How do they arrive at that mp value?
Merging multiple images from multiple lenses?
All from one lens?
Lens type and material?
What software is doing this?
etc, etc.

I have a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless camera, 16MP. Now 9 years old.
I'll bet it takes better pics than either of those phones.

Now, I know its not fair comparing a real camera to the phone cameras. But that was just to show that the megapixel number is not the sole determinant.
I assume that each manufacturer is using their own software. That's why I was hoping that changing the camera app to Google Camera would improve it's performance. Obviously, there is much more to it than that.

I also assumed that the number of MPs for each was a standard spec... but I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't.

Is there a fair way to compare them, without having them both in your hand?

Maybe I'm over worrying. The phone I'm replacing is a moto G power, from 2020, and has cameras:
16 MP, f/1.7, (wide), 1/2.8", 1.12µm, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.2, 118˚ (ultrawide), 1/4.0", 1.12µm
2 MP, f/2.2, (macro)

USAFRet

Illustrious
Is there a fair way to compare them, without having them both in your hand?
Read unbiased reviews.

The megapixel race is long over.
Now, its just weenie waving.

30 megapixels done exactly right is probably better than 100 megapixels done slightly 'not optomized'.

And one camera might be better at closeups, and another better at distance.
Both really good, but excel in different realms.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Here is a sample pic for you.
Make a guess at the megapixel capability of the camera used for this:
T733Zrw.jpg

Olympus C-3000 , now 23 years old
3.2 MP
Pic taken in 2003