Nokia Shows Off Device Controlled via Flexible Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Imagine the innovation involved in that, obviously you would need flexible circuit boards and processors, not to mention a somewhat flexible battery. Then what about durability? A lot of work must have been done on this.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... how do you operate it with a one hand?[/citation]
You use touch screen; the system is not replacing that, it is complementing it. Watch the video.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Imagine the innovation involved in that, obviously you would need flexible circuit boards and processors, not to mention a somewhat flexible battery. Then what about durability? A lot of work must have been done on this.[/citation]
Processors are small, the board can flex around them and you would not know it. Batteries are large, so in the video the power was drawn via a cable. I guess for this prototype the data and the rest of what would constitute the phone were fed via the same cable, leaving the screen to do the input/output part. Still a great innovation.

ajay_vishvanathan

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
whats this os?? they got this ui better than android or shit man.. and yet nokia is giving shit to people!!! cmon man!!! take it out!! dont be a girl!!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
freaking awesome! I have been waiting for this sense I saw the first flexible oled screen on Toms some 7 years ago! So glad to see it come to reality.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Pretty sure something like this is already patented, but by who? I remember the news from CES last year from Samsung's flexible OLEDs, now this, and saw another company making flexible OLED recently also. Please don't sue each other. I would love to get a gadget like this ASAP without delays from courts.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Personally, I think it's fairly interesting, but I think things like Siri and Iris are way more functional. I suppose it would have it's uses such as a noisy environment, but it just seems to me you could just as easily say "Zoom in", "Zoom out" etc... and control things with your voice just as fast and much more deeply. For instance, saying "Zoom in 20%" would get you to your desired results much more quickly and efficiently. Still, it is pretty cool and I wouldn't mind trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.