Nokia talks about Symbian UI improvements in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
We have to thank Google Android for this; they have put lots of good pressure on Nokia. Two years ago, the idea of Symbian becoming open source was unthinkable, but Android made the unthinkable into reality. :lol:

Nokia generally makes solid phones, but Symbian os is out-dated, let’s see how they going to improve it next year. And the other thing Nokia is very greedy in battery/accessory department; they sell a handset for $500-700, yet they supply it with poor battery and headset :non: .

Yeah,android and also OS X.
When apple launched iPhone although it had many problems but its OS was fantastic and that made many companies to use newer techs such as Multi Touch on their handset

WelkyndStone

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I agree; without Android and the iphone, Nokia wouldn't have felt any pressure. I think they became complacent with the early success of the N series and rested on their laurels for too long....now they have been outclassed by the Koreans and Android/OSX in the touchscreen segment.

Currently, Nokia does not have a truly desirable touchscreen handset; the resistive ones (N97/X5800) simply don't cut it...the touch operation is neither smooth nor intuitive . I haven't tried the N900. I had high hopes for the X6, but early reviews seem to suggest that it's just a middle of the road handset, not a high end device.

The best implementation of a touch UI on top of the ageing S60 seems to be Samsung's TouchWiz on the Omnia HD, but even that can only do so much. Nokia needs a new OS optimized for touchscreen operation; hopefully Maemo 6 will deliver for the short term.

I love my E71 and was looking for a Nokia model to replace it soon, but looks like I will have to move to another brand (except Apple lol), most likely the Motorola Milestone or one of the newer Samsungs :(

Regarding the battery/headset...my E71 has a stellar battery that keeps on going and going, but it also has a lousy 2.5 mm audio jack, so I could not plug in my usual set of earphones, I had to buy a third party set (the Nokia supplied ones were not in-canal type). But Sony Ericsson is the worst offender when it comes to non-standard connectors :/

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Its true Nokia business E series comes with good battery(E71 1500 mAh), but the popular N series comes with poor batteries. All N series should come with 1500+ mAH as standard.

N900 1320 mAh
Nokia X6 1320 mAh
N97 1500 mAh
N97 mini 1200 mAh
Nokia N96 950 mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.