Non-subscription DVR Options

Craig223

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
I've just spent a few hours Googling and am still unclear on a lot of this stuff.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what is the current equivalent of a VCR. I actually still have a functional VCR that I can hook up and use, but I'm not sure how much longer it will hold out.

More specifically, I'm looking for something that fits the following criteria:

1. It will record something off TV so I can watch it later.

2. It's not limited to only OTA TV. I'm mostly interested in independent and foreign films like are shown on IndiePlex and used to be shown on Sundance and IFC (not sure if they still are; my understanding is the programming on these channels has changed a lot in recent years). As far as I know you can't get stuff like that with an antenna but only through cable or satellite. (Feel free to correct me on any such point. I'm judging from long ago experience or from recent Googling that I may or may not be interpreting accurately.)

3. Not something where I have to pay a monthly fee, whether to the cable company or Tivo or whomever (anymore than I ever paid anyone a monthly fee to use my VCR).

4. The higher the capacity the better. If I don't get around to watching the stuff for awhile, it'll be nice if it can hold 10 movies instead of 1, or 100 movies instead of 10.

5. Don't really care if it works with Hulu and Netflix and streaming video, etc., mostly because I'm an old fart and only have a vague idea what any of that is. Like I say, I want it for TV channels like IndiePlex.

6. It would be nice if it can record in a permanent way, like a vcr, but that's not necessary. If "copy protection" (which I never heard of until tonight) prevents that, I can live with that. I just want to be able to watch it one time, other than when it's broadcast--so tomorrow, next week, next month, whatever.

7. I only have one TV, so it's irrelevant if it works on multiple TVs.

8. Things like being able to record one show while watching another, or record multiple shows at a time, etc. would be nice, but I can live without them.

9. Cost is relevant. If it's possible to do all this, but it costs some massive amount, I'll probably just continue to get by with my ancient VCR. (Unless somehow the copy protection thing means you can't use VCRs anymore either.)

Any ideas? Thanks.

Solution
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U
will allow you to record over air programming. Add USB hard drive or stick for storage.
You are right about IFC and Sundance not being the same as they were. Indieplex is a premium cable or satellite channel so not available over the air.. With your taste in film there is nothing on broadcast TV to interest you at all.
You would probably love using KODI software to stream just about anything over the internet for free. You can use it on many devices. Don't need to record anything since you can watch it again any time you want. KODI runs on any computer so you can try it that way and see how you like it. There is now a pre-configured version...
1) You need a TV tuner card AND your cable company must support cablecard or you need a cable box with coax output
2) You will need to pay your cable subscription fees
3) You'll need a decent computer

If you don't want the computer to be a DVR, you can buy a standalone one like the Samsung BD-D8900

For one, am excited that the world of instant access will be available to you soon, OTOH the fact and you would be willing to stay with tapes tells me you are not that excited by the prospect of hundreds of recordings at your fingertips on-screen and no more rewinding and fast forwarding tapes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U
will allow you to record over air programming. Add USB hard drive or stick for storage.
You are right about IFC and Sundance not being the same as they were. Indieplex is a premium cable or satellite channel so not available over the air.. With your taste in film there is nothing on broadcast TV to interest you at all.
You would probably love using KODI software to stream just about anything over the internet for free. You can use it on many devices. Don't need to record anything since you can watch it again any time you want. KODI runs on any computer so you can try it that way and see how you like it. There is now a pre-configured version
https://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-windows/
that would be easier for you to play with. Install it on your computer and see if you like it. Price is right FREE.
If you do like it you can use it with many devices like android TV boxes, Amazon Firesticks etc. Craigslist always has people selling devices with KODI installed on them so if you don't want to use a computer you can buy on of those.

Solution

Craig223

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

Yes, it sounds like over-the-air solutions won't get me very far.

The KODI idea sounds promising. This is the first I've ever heard of it, but it sounds worth looking into.