NookColor Now Shipping Says Barnes & Noble

Status
Not open for further replies.

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Unfortunately, the whole point of an e-reader is the e-ink medium. It doesn't strain the eyes so even old people wont mind reading it. But then again people spend 500 plus on a feature constrained device with a certain unnamed fruit logo

kermee

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Only reason this device won't be DOA is that if it's hacked, it will be the first $249 "Android Tablet" that has a 7-inch 1024x600 IPS display.

As an eReader, it's DOA.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I agree with squanto, unless thats some magical color e-ink technology it's not so much an e-reader as it is just another tablet. Reading on the B/W kindle is almost exactly like reading off a printed page, LCD's are hard on the eyes. without that, I'd just as soon read it on my laptop.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]I agree with squanto, unless thats some magical color e-ink technology it's not so much an e-reader as it is just another tablet. Reading on the B/W kindle is almost exactly like reading off a printed page, LCD's are hard on the eyes. without that, I'd just as soon read it on my laptop.[/citation]
HANVON e-ink has a color e-ink panel

there's also another panel that i can't...seem... to get off the tip of my tongue...

Pixel Qi...that's what it is

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]squanto[/nom]Unfortunately, the whole point of an e-reader is the e-ink medium. It doesn't strain the eyes so even old people wont mind reading it. But then again people spend 500 plus on a feature constrained device with a certain unnamed fruit logo[/citation]
I never understood how LCD puts a "strain" on the eye. For job related reasons, I spend over 10 hours in front of an LCD every day, I do *a lot* of reading on it and simply don't see the issue.

Backlit text is much easier to read than text that's lit by an incandescent external light source. That's why I don't understand why these eInk reader don't offer *optional* backlighting.

The NookColor looks good, but at $250 I wonder how it stacks up against a full-fledged tablet: The Archos 70 is only $280.

hereone

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Nook Color has been picked as the editors choice by PC Magazine. Pro reviewers on other sites (CNET, ZDNet, Engadget, AllThingsDigital, etc.) mentioned that it tested to be pretty fast for apps and PDF's, has a beautiful screen, and is a great value for the holiday season. Nook Color screen is supposed to be better (less reflective) for reading than iPad thanks to new LG screen with anti-reflection coating. Barnes & Noble special Nook SDK runs on top of the standard Android one and gives developers access to exclusive extensions and APIs for the Nook and its interface. So porting Android apps is not difficult. B&N says it is more like optimising them for Nook than porting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.