North Korea Claims to Have Nuclear Fusion

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
"...that no other country in the world--including China, Europe, and the United States..."

Since when Europe is country ?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Yes it is North Korea, and 99.9999% not the Nuclear Fusion we all expect but just the announcement needs to be validated by authorities in the rest of the world as either true or not accurate. If they did it is an amazing achievement for human kind.

G

Hollowtek, I don't understand your comment. The scientific community dismisses it because it is highly improbable that NK is able to do such a thing. Now if they have, great, wonderful, let them show it to the world and resolve the worlds energy problems, let them show it to world and teach the "evil western nations" by giving the secret to such a power source and collapsing the western economy. Is NK trying? Doubtful, the people there are trying to survive their own government and yes the US relies heavily on coal, like many other nations, the US also relies on fuel oil, water power, some minor nuclear, wind and solar. The only real steps away from coal have been by France with their investment in nukes. Outside of that lets us look at the worlds most populated nations, India and China, how do they handle their citizens power needs? Oh wait, in many cases they simply don't. Much older nations than the US who still let the bulk of their population wallow in 3rd world poverty.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
If this turns out to be accurate, then it'll be a triumph for humanity. However, I think it is more likely they achieved a nuclear fusion "reaction". So in other words, they figured out how to make a fusion bomb.

mouser21

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]Human's naturally fear what they do not know. Seeing as how North Korea does not accept visitors, it makes people who "do not know" feel better to dismiss it ignorantly as a failure.Same said people will ring their necks multiple times if North Korea were to provide concrete evidence of their alleged achievement in cold fusion.[/citation]

You have been drinking the kool-aid served by Kim. If they really did pull it off, it would be the come-from-behind story of the millenium. Being that, it's so unlikely that you can't take it seriously without proof. If ANYONE said they had done it, we would require proof since it's the holy grail of energy science. People SHOULD be skeptical of anyone without seeing the proof first. If you are not, you are a sucker.

mouser21

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Hahaha! If that's true it will be the biggest block-buster in the century!I'm for the Koreans - Go Korea go! North Korea! That would be the ultimate comedy: North Korea saves the world - invents cheap energy, protects the environment and the big oil companies go bust. The World is saved - Kim Jong-Ill - superhero! Obama crawls to Pyongyang to ask for the technology. Muslim sheiks loose their oil money and cannot support Al Qaeda... etc.[/citation]

In a perfect world, this would happen and I would be tickled pink. Too bad it's likely just a farce =(

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pmss[/nom]I've read some "dads" being nuclear physicists, or some wikipedia readers, but you should check your facts.I'm designing a core simulator for ITER.[/citation]
If you're going to act so condescending without actually knowing the backgrounds of some of the folks here you should at least make sure you don't have things like -250 K in your post, some of us engineers raise an eyebrow when we see things like that. Also, magnetic confinement fusion is only one of the possibilities. There is also laser confinement which has recently become more promising as laser efficiency increases and some of the white papers are starting to make it look pretty promising. Of course, it too has the same problem of harvesting that energy in order to boil water and drive a turbine.

That said, we all know this is bunk, nuclear fusion reactors don't unlock until 2050.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
OK, nationalism aside, I don't believe anyone has any problems with North Korean ppl, it's just that ppl love to hate the NK propoganda and administration as much as ppl loved to hate the propogands and the American Bush administration. What we need here is less talk, and more evidence. As a scientist, I will not condemn or support until I have had a chance to see and understand. If I do not receive a damn good reason why I can't see the evidence, I will grow skeptical and move on.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]If you're going to act so condescending without actually knowing the backgrounds of some of the folks here you should at least make sure you don't have things like -250 K in your post, some of us engineers raise an eyebrow when we see things like that. Also, magnetic confinement fusion is only one of the possibilities. There is also laser confinement which has recently become more promising as laser efficiency increases and some of the white papers are starting to make it look pretty promising. Of course, it too has the same problem of harvesting that energy in order to boil water and drive a turbine.That said, we all know this is bunk, nuclear fusion reactors don't unlock until 2050.[/citation]

There are reactors that have been used in research for many years this is nothing new its been around since the 30's although not much interest has been shown in news but many advances over the years have been made in Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Germany and Japan.

http://www.iter.org/sci/Pages/BeyondITER.aspx

righteous fury

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Boxa786[/nom]Love how the media hate instantly bash N Korea. I dont support anything but my own two leggs, I simply keep an open mind at all times, and in this case would all the media and every other critic to be proven wrong. Esp the "we rule all" american way of living.[/citation]

Well, as duly appointed representative of the "we rule all" Americans, I would simply like to point out that we don't really care for the attitude of those like yourself, Mr. Box. So, would you please be a dear, and promply drop dead? Thanks a mega-ton! OK, luv-ya, bu-bye now!

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
"...a feat that no other country in the world--including China, Europe, and the United States..."
Since when is Europe a country? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.