Norton Security Error 8504, 104

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoper

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have a persistent problem with Norton Security;
Every time I start my PC (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) the Norton Security icon isn't in my system tray (yes, the icon is enabled), however, the background processes are running as they should according to the task manager.
I've had this problem for a few months now, and hoped it would fix itself, but it has just gotten worse now, more on that a bit later.
I can manually start the program using uistub.exe located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security with Backup\Engine64\22.5.5.15 which usually starts the program - although it takes really long, up to 15 minutes - then Norton Autofix discovers an error, and repairs it, and telling me it was the error 8504, 104.
This worked until sometime last week (note that this problem had been present since last year), because suddenly, Norton Autofix decided that it can't fix it.
I used the Norton Removal Tool that's linked from here to completely uninstall the software yesterday. I then proceeded to reinstall it, all seemed to work fine - until now, when it has decided to break again, with the same error message.

At some point last year I tried the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool available from here which didn't really work either; the software reinstalled, but it broke again afterwards, with the same error message.
I have also scanned through my PC for viruses and malware using Norton (when it worked) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) but it hasn't solved this problem.

It might be worth mentioning that I am also using Glasswire to monitor my internet connection, although I had the problems with Norton long before I installed it, so it didn't cause the original problem.
I also have autologin enabled on my PC, using Autologon

In case it wasn't clear in my post; Norton does work after reinstalling, but after turning off the computer and then turning it on the next day, it's dead again.

I really don't know what to do anymore, as reinstalling it just doesn't seem to fix the actual problem.

Perhaps I should have gone to the Norton Community forums instead, but I thought this could be a good place to start, as I already had an account here.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.