Not Able to Access Any Files on Laptop

Indubitably

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Hello, all,

My laptop is a 2015 HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1. A couple of nights ago, it started acting oddly.

It randomly began preventing me from accessing any of the files stored on the computer or on my flash drive. I would click on File Explorer just to be met with a screen that said "This folder is empty." Of course, it's not, actually.

Furthermore, I was working on a project for school at the time, and suddenly was unable to save anything to my flash drive or open anything from it. When I tried to shut off my laptop or restart it (the quintessential solution to all issues of this nature), it wouldn't respond at all, and I ended up having to use the power button. This was poor form, I know, but I was exhausted at the time and didn't have the patience to figure anything else out.

Yesterday, I tried to use my laptop again and was able to use files from my flash drive without any issues. Provided, this was after I updated Windows and ran a few scans with my antivirus program (Norton). None of the scans I did yielded any results out of the ordinary, so there is evidently no virus on my computer.

I figured the issue was resolved. Apparently, it isn't, because as I was working on an Excel spreadsheet a couple of hours ago, my computer started doing the same thing again. I am unable to open any file on Word or Excel that isn't saved to OneDrive. When I click on File Explorer now, it shows that the PC folder is empty, and both "This PC" and "Favorites" on the left side of the window have magnifying glasses circling around their icons.

I have looked on various support forms online and none of them describe any situation exactly like this, and that's why I'm here. My first thought was malware, but as I mentioned, this doesn't seem to be the case. In case it's relevant, other programs work perfectly fine, and I can browse the Internet with no issues whatsoever.

What do I do? Is this a Windows 8.1 bug? I've had this version of Windows since I got the computer and have experienced nothing like this before.

I apologize if the solution is obvious, but I'm not as computer-literate as perhaps most of you are!

Thanks in advance.

Well not having a virus doesn't mean you don't have Malware or something else. Have you run any programs to search for that. Like say Spybot?

Also, you may want to consider going to "System Restore" and try and restore the computer to a date prior to the start of the problem.

Indubitably

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Thank you for calling to my attention the fact that malware and viruses aren't exactly the same.

Anyway, I ran a threat scan with Malwarebytes just now, and the results were completely normal. It found nothing.

My laptop is working normally as of now, but if it starts doing what I described a couple of days ago, I'll consider doing the system restore as you suggest.