Notebook Alienware m17x1 (4800MQ + GTX780M) and FPS drops after 344.48

Dec 25, 2014
Hello there. I've got so big problem with FPS in last time. I had Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with everything updated (Chipset, motherboard, sound card, graphic, network etc...). Because i am player of MMORPG SWTOR especially PvP warzones so most of tests what i did was with this game. So before i updated to drivers 344.48 i had 344.11 (dunno why, but i have been satisfied with this drivers, have no problems with 'em) But one wonderfull day nVidia GeForce Experience offered to me update for new new driver *.48 so i installed it and tryied. Damn that was so super FPS drop with more than 1 man in 1 room. When i tried to move with mouse and take a look for another side that movement wasn't smooth. From fps 50-110 (depends how many ppl was around of me) on fleet there was drop to 25-30-35 FPS. In PvP areas from ~50-60 that is drop in some moments to 25!!!! Unplayable. So i tried uninstall that driver and tried installed back *.11 - that problem was still same. I tried recovery point in Windows, that was a bit better after i turn off pc and start it again. And i had problems with Black Screen instead Windows Log In screen.

So i made a decision i will go back to Win x64 Ultimate. Installed first all drivers and like the last one i've installed 344.48 drivers. Problem was here again. Uninstall install *.11 still same, uninstall install 340.52 and game works again better. So i was satisfied again but there was after some time released again the newest driver 344.60 - and problem is here again. I have no power to do again uninstall and install. Yesterday i had brutal FREEZE OF SCREEN in PvP match in SWTOR. I've just heard playing of music in background but ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, alt+tab doesn't work so i had to to hard reset......... After this incident i downloaded GPU-Z, FurMark, 3DMark, Video Memory stress Test HD Tune and all i checked. (Alienware has in bios option ePSA so i checked my HDW with this tool too) Everything is going very well.

In SWTOR i tried alt+tab there is a problem to go back from 100fps again to 100fps after switch to game again.
In Alice: Madness Returns i had fps drops (i've got unlocked max 100 framerate) from 100 to 40. When i quit game and start it again i had bak to normal 100 but with lags
In Cryostasis (everything on max with PhysX too) with the newest drivers drops in some times to 25 fps (ok could be because PhysX) but with old drivers drops to 30

I allready checked my power - Cable is connected, Laptop is fully charged and i have no allowed option to save energy. In Alienware and Windows powert options i've got everything set up in High Performance (i allready checked advanced options too) Nothing ain't dissalowed or something like that

For uninstalling all GPU drivers before instalation i used Display Driver Uninstaller(but i tried uninstall without him too)

P.S. i am user of ShadowPlay and record of in-game videos. No differences between turn on or turn off ShadowPlay (+- 3FPS in games). Just quite a bigger differece i saw in 3DMark benchamrk where was score in turn on option lower approximately 200 points.

P.P.S. GeForce experience is update to the newest version too

P.P.P.S. I allready installed complete DX Pack and install DX and other programs for each game what i tested

MORE INFO right there
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/765011-notebook-alienware-m17x1-4800mq-gtx780m-fps-drops-after-344-48-a.html

Will be really preciated for any help. I'm just thinking about buy a new card, but still i am not sure if that problem is in GPU

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Try this, for some funky reason, Nvidia does not update the PhysX driver when they release the latest Geforce drivers and in some games, updating the PhysX driver help a lot as the latest Geforce driver conflict with the older now incompatible PhysX version that many gamers these days do not bother updating.

So go the Nvidia's site and download the latest PhysX driver.