Notebook shuts off after unplugging power source

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Hi tomshardware members. I made sure i tried ALL possible fixes before i default to asking others for help,but i've had no luck

So i have a pretty puzzling issue that's been skin-peelingly fustrating to fix. I have an Acer Aspire 5552g laptop with a newly installed motherboard and ram that works perfectly fine with the AC adapter. However, once i unplug the AC adapter, the laptop shuts off with 10-20 minutes of usage. And it's not a normal shut-down. It freezes for a good 2-3 seconds, the fan kicks in, and does a hard shut off. No warning or anything. I made sure the connections where correct when installing the new mobo, per manual instructions (and some visual help on youtube) and it definitely does not overheat. I check temps constantly for any anomalies.
But it still shuts off when it is not using direct power supply from the AC adapter.
I figured the original battery was defective, so i purchased a new battery from acer that came in a few days ago and it's still happening on this new battery.

I flashed the bios with a current version from acer support site. I tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for 20 seconds to discharge whatever any currents that may be stuck i guess (read it somewhere on a forum). BTW the OS is windows 8 pro (clean install and updated drivers). I also have windows 7 home premium installed (dual boot/ with updated drivers as well) to see if the problem persists there as well, and it does. I figured maybe these windows OS's have problems so i tried booting a disk image of Ubuntu and it also does the same problem here too.

Im at a loss with why this is happening. The Laptop works fine when plugged in, but every time i unplug it (no matter what OS; win8, win7, Ubuntu), it still shuts off without warning after a few minutes.
I should mention that this issue doesnt occur when im in the bios or windows8 safe mode. I left in the bios over night to kill the new battery so i can calibrate it but that hasnt worked. I charged it up fully again and put It in safe mode right now. I unplugged it and ive been letting run without the power cord. Its been fine for almost 2 hours. So im clueless what the issue is.

It doesnt seem like a battery issue. It must be something in the normal boot of the OS's thats causing it to shut down since in bios/safe mode it works fine without the plug.
Any ideas? Sorry that i threw out a ten page essay. This issue is just irritating for the past weeks and needed to inform in detail everything ive tried. I dont wanna have to rely on power cords for this laptop since im a student

Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well start 1 by 1 and you'll find it for sure.

But this gives my mind hard time. Why would services be corrupted when it's clean version of windows??? :)

Maybe it's some motherboard driver trigering this thing.

But you are lucky if it's just some no essential service. :))

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

the thing is, windows doesn't give me any error reports. When i boot it back up, it boots normally as if nothing happened.
No automatic repair, no error message saying "windows did not shut down correctly," or "windows encountered an error," or "windows unexpectedly quit" or anything. I've done multiple scans in cmd "sfc /scannow" and disk checks with no errors.

I've also tried editing the power management settings in the Network Adapters in Device Manager and unchecking the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" but still no luck. Im at a loss here..

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

So i tried disabling each driver at a time to try and narrow it down, but man. No luck /:
I contacted the company i bought the mobo from, they claim it was brand new off a working acer aspire. So i assume its def not a hardware issue.
I wonder if theres an incorrect temp reading or sensor malfunction when its on battery. To make it think its overheating. Is this a possibility?

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
It is possible but it is small possibility. When laptop shuts down when unplugged, is battery drained when you start laptop next time or it's just shut down and battery seems to be charged?

Also. Try to load normal windows but only with these services and drivers http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/which-drivers-get-loaded-in-safe-mode

That's the safe mode stuff and from there go with single or group of services and drivers to find what's wrong.

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

If the motherboard was bad, why would it work fine in safe mode? If it was a hardware issue, i believe nothing would work.

I've did every scan, check disk, registry check possible with no errors, and tried CCleaner. The event log gives me this "Windows Kernel event ID 41 error 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first'. But it gives no exact description of what caused this error.

I've literally disabled each and every driver one at a time for trial and error, but nothing has seemed to pinpoint. My ultimate guess is that it HAS to be one of the windows services that is causing this, not the drivers. Because if in safe mode these services are all "stopped", and the battery works fine in safe mode, there is something within the services in normal boot that's causing this issue. I've already disabled non-Microsoft Corp. Services, I just have no idea where to start with the actual Microsoft Corp. Services to disable. Anyone have an idea?

Hi :)

As you seem CERTAIN its a Windows problem...easy fix...

Save your data, Reload and Format drive etc....

All the best Brett :)

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

update: I've disabled all services similar to safe mode according to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/which-drivers-get-loaded-in-safe-mode

The only services I have enabled right now in normal boot are:

Windows event log

Plug and Play

Remote procedure call (WPC)

Cryptographic Services

Windows Defender

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

I've left it on the desktop (in normal boot) with these services and it's been running without any shut off for about an hour, which is the longest it has ever ran without the charger since the issue came about.

at the moment, it's looking like this may be the fix, but I dont want to jinx it. I have about 33% remaining (1 hour, 9 minutes) til the battery is drained. So ill leave it on for another 10 minutes or so til i start tackling which services to enable. Any thoughts on where to start?

I have a hunch the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service may be the culprit, so i'll start by enabling other services around that.
does anyone know the important services that need to be enabled first?

I'm feeling a bit closer to happiness! Thanks again for the assistance thus far

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Well start 1 by 1 and you'll find it for sure.

But this gives my mind hard time. Why would services be corrupted when it's clean version of windows??? :)

Maybe it's some motherboard driver trigering this thing.

But you are lucky if it's just some no essential service. :))

Solution

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

I agree, it is very puzzling, and confusing. I have no idea why any microsoft corp. service would affect the battery usage. It doesn't make any sense. And what's even more puzzling is that Ubuntu and Windows 7 is having the same issues as well. Like, what services within these OS's would be affecting the battery? It's fustrating
But, at least I'm getting somewhere. Right now I was able to get the battery down to 3% and I shut it down manually to let it charge back up. I've gotten through each service alphabetically past "B" without any issues. I still have a long ways to go, but hopefully it all works out in the end. (crossing finger)

Ill post an update later once i'm back up and running on full battery.

And238

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Update: wheww!! Where do i start...
So long story short, i found the issue (finally!)

I started off by disabling every service (even microsoft corporation services) and afterwards i litterally went through EACH service aplpjanetically to enable one by one. And after almost 10 hours of doing so (there are hundreds of microsoft services), i found the service thats shutting down the laptop:

The "power" service, go figure......:angry:

Anyways. Every other service has been enabled besides this one, and all works perfectly fine! I dont know what relations this service has to the battery power having issues, but right now i could care less. Im just happy that i can use it without the charger. However, if anyone can care to explain, id appreciate it. Otherwise im a happy camper. I can finally sleep sound.

This thread can be marked as "solved"

cyberartz

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
Whoa Man! I have an acer aspire s3 ultrabook with exact same issue. Finally you saved my day. Love you..
I disabled power service as you mentioned and it worked for 3 1/2 hours without shutting down. after battery fully drained, I fully charged my laptop and enabled the power service again.. now it runs normally as before.