Now Is a Terrible Time to Buy a Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
The last two LG phones I purchased were HORRIBLE. There is no wonder their sales suck, nobody wants garbage.

dallasbesty

Great
Apr 13, 2018
The latest smartphones are asking and getting premium phone prices. The absolute latest ones need time to work out the "bugs/issues" with all this new technology they are sporting. I can't support financing through a carrier, even with their "aggressive pricing". You are locked into that carrier for a period of time and have to put up with their bloatware. If you can't afford cash, it is time to come down in price point.

I make no secret that I am a big fan of the Essential Phone (PH-1) from Essential.com They have the latest specs sans the IP-67 rating and it is only $499.00 from their website and can be used with ANY carrier except Google-Fi. If you buy it from their website, you can purchase the extended warranty at the same time you purchase the phone, and only then, and get accidental coverage.

However, Amazon has run some great specials from time to time. Use honey.com to get alerts and you might pick it up for as little as $399. I got mine for $429 for getting the Amazon Prime Visa at the same time. So, I get the accidental coverage through the Visa card issued by Chase bank through Amazon with no fees and cash back perks.

Why do I like the Essential besides that it dropped from it's original $799.00 price I was first offered during the pre-order stage last year. They have issued all the software fixes that plagued the phone at release and continue to do so and I don't wait for my carrier; it comes straight from essential. The other new phones on the market will do the same over the next year, but the Essential is running great RIGHT NOW! Tom's Guide needs to revisit the phone now and review it again.

One last tip: Get a case for ANY of these new smartphones. Their tiny bezels and gorilla glass curved edges protruding above the phone'sedges are a weak spot on every new smartphone and they are all failing drop tests on the YouTube reviews testing that issue. Doubly so for the iPhone X and its glass back and front.

In my opinion, if you are looking to replace that old phone, give the Essential Phone a good hard look. I recommend putting it on one the prepaid or pay as you go plans and save 50% or more over the regular "subscriber plans". My AT&T prepaid plan offers all the same plans, no bloatware, and is only $44.21 per month including taxes. Why would I want to be a regular AT&T subscriber, pay more than double that, and also be asked for a $500 deposit because I was a "new subscriber" for them? Shop around. If the carrier you choose stinks, take your phone to another carrier until you find the right one for your town or travel needs because the Essential comes unlocked already.

Apr 30, 2018
Here is the question NO one is asking, what if any of these phone will be 5G ready and will the phones purchased have the ability to add software to get them 5G ready????

That is the question that needs to be answered!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.