MceraWV

Estimable
Jan 29, 2016
Hello!

First off, Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it!
Along with Christmas comes the purchasing of technology, and in my case purchasing something that evidently isn't fully compatible with what I already had. In short; I'm trying to use the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 on a monitor (Acer Predator XB271HU) that isn't officially supported by it. Its refresh rate is plenty high enough (144hz), but it doesn't have the 3-Pin Stereo Sync connector that the IR emitter plugs into. I've read a few forum posts where individuals have said that this cable is for stereoscopic audio, or only for specific, older displays, but they all agree that it's supposedly useless overall, and have gotten their own setups working just fine without it.

With that being said, I'm still unable to get the glasses working on my monitor. Am I missing something? Is the cable really just 'useless,' or did I screw up and I should just try to get my money back?

Thanks in advance!
-MC

Solution
The cable isn't useless, it is required for broadcasting the frame refresh signals over to the glasses for syncing purposes.

If the monitor doesn't support it, it doesn't support it.

There are work arounds by identifying your panel and finding a matching monitor that does support it.

Then changing that monitors drivers hardware ID to match your monitor.

But even then there is no guarantee it will work correctly, and things going out of sync could still be an issue.

beegmouse

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
The cable isn't useless, it is required for broadcasting the frame refresh signals over to the glasses for syncing purposes.

If the monitor doesn't support it, it doesn't support it.

There are work arounds by identifying your panel and finding a matching monitor that does support it.

Then changing that monitors drivers hardware ID to match your monitor.

But even then there is no guarantee it will work correctly, and things going out of sync could still be an issue.

Solution

fry178

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
you need it.
it works the same way on (active 3D) tvs, except they had the emitter build-in (that was why 3D tvs were marked as such),
by syncing the screen (flipping from L to R pic, and back). with the shutters in your glasses.

the only time im a 100% sure u wont need it, is if you use passive 3D, but then you would have a (passive) 3D screen and (non-syncing) passive glasses.

MceraWV

Estimable
Jan 29, 2016

Alright, in that case it sounds like I'll just be returning it; even if I could find a matching panel it wouldn't solve the fact that my monitor is physically missing the connector on the back to plug in to. Oh well, as my signature says, you win some you lose most!

Thanks for the reply!

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Nvidia 3DVision works in 120Hz mode, not sure it supports 144Hz.
What happens, when you enable 3DVision in Nvidia drivers?

Check User guide.
image1b.jpg

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-us.html