NVIDIA Driver Installation Trouble

kev88z

Estimable
May 26, 2014
I have tried to install the latest NVIDIA Driver, version 337.88, with no luck. I have a GTX 750 TI video card. Please Help!

Solution

Hey Kevs I got the exact same issue, but then I restarted the pc, and it loaded up with the default windows display driver, and I was then able to run the setup in C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\GeForce337.88Driver without any issue.

I think the installer must be having trouble disabling the old driver.

nigeb

Estimable
May 29, 2014

Hey Kevs I got the exact same issue, but then I restarted the pc, and it loaded up with the default windows display driver, and I was then able to run the setup in C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\GeForce337.88Driver without any issue.

I think the installer must be having trouble disabling the old driver.

Solution

Ashumz

Estimable
Jun 1, 2014

im still getting the same error, even after restart AND after using 'Display Drive uninstaller'

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
where I say new card just remove and reseat you card........

start computer as normal-- got to add/remove programs--- uninstall all your old cards drivers and add on programs for the card--- shut down and then reboot back to desktop normally [ i dont like to do safemode here cause it my hide an issue ] and it should be running on the windows default driver to check-- go to device manager-display- right click your card [it may just say generic vga ] - property's - driver - and see that driver provider is microsoft- if so shut down and turn off psu switch unplug it wait a min or so push the power button like you normally do to start the computer to see if its discharged-- [if the computer comes on for like a second or two and dies it now discharged] then remove your old card and install the new card as proper install instructions show for your new card-- when you got everything in order and installed correctly [monitor and all] put power back to the psu turn on switch start up computer normally and let it boot to desktop and it should be running on windows default drivers if it looks good with no issues install your new cards drivers and reboot as prompted. and hopefully all will be good to go. i like to download the driver from nvidia/amd to a file on the desktop and install it from there

Ashumz

Estimable
Jun 1, 2014

still no work :( i installed an older drivers and tried updating from there, it says installation complete but didnt update the driver. must be something with 337.88. ill go back to the beta for now.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
from the drivers release notes ... I assume you read them first???

Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers
To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows rollback feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and then install the older driver using setup.exe.
Uninstalling Drivers Using Device Manager is not Supported
Issue
On all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using the Windows Device Manager may not remove associated files or applications.
Explanation
Microsoft has confirmed that this behavior is by design. If you wish to uninstall the NVIDIA driver, it is recommended that you do so using Add and Remove programs

Ashumz

Estimable
Jun 1, 2014

still nothing. i went into safe mode and uninstalled all the drivers, then tried reinstalling them however i have to restart back into normal mode for it to install. does the same thing again 'failed'