NVIDIA GeForce 840M vs NVIDIA GeForce 840M

hoppies1

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014
I'm looking at two laptops and I'm wondering which one is better for every day use with some light gaming.

1 - 2.5 GHz A10-5757M, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 8650G Graphics with 512 RAM

2 - 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB DDR3L, NVIDIA GeForce 840M with 2gb RAM.

My old laptop had integrated graphics and I had to run games like D3 and Civ 5 on the lowest settings and they still were slow at times.

Thank You

Solution
Yep, #2.

The difference in performance is huge between integrated GPU and dedicated GPU. The Intel CPU may be dual core, but most games do not use more than 2 cores. All Assassin Creed games uses one core as an example. It seems the it is the i5-4210m with a base speed of 1.7GHz and a max Turbo Boost speed of 2.7GHz. For a given clockspeed Intel CPUs are generally around 33% more powerful than AMD CPUs. So even a 1.7GHz Intel CPU is not as weak as it may seem.
Yep, #2.

The difference in performance is huge between integrated GPU and dedicated GPU. The Intel CPU may be dual core, but most games do not use more than 2 cores. All Assassin Creed games uses one core as an example. It seems the it is the i5-4210m with a base speed of 1.7GHz and a max Turbo Boost speed of 2.7GHz. For a given clockspeed Intel CPUs are generally around 33% more powerful than AMD CPUs. So even a 1.7GHz Intel CPU is not as weak as it may seem.

Solution