Nvidia Graphics Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Miles

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hey. I have been having this problem for awhile and I have not been able to identify it so i was hoping the people of Tom's Hardware could help. So here are the specs for my computer:
(Sager NP8651 15" Gaming Laptop)
- Intel I7-4710HQ
- 16GB DDR3
- 120GB SSD and 1TB HD
- GTX 970M 3GB
- 1920x1080 Display (built in)

The problem that I am having is that when I play certain video games on my laptop I get only what I can call as a "lazy" pixel effect. What this means is that you can see some of the pixels from the previous frame still on the screen for a split second. This doesn't happen all of the time and not with all games as well. I also haven't noticed when sending my video output through an external monitor like my TV. I was hoping, if anything, if anyone knows what this is called so that I could have a name for it and also if anyone knows how to fix it then that would be awesome. Thank you so much!!!

Daniel Miles

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
I hate to bump on my own thread but I really need a solution for this problem. I've been doing some more testing and I've found out a couple of things.
- pixels form almost a pixel "trail" that quickly dissolves
- does not happen in all games and not at all times (however Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin seems to be pretty consistent with the error occuring)
- I tried plugging my laptop into another monitor to see if perhaps my laptop monitor was going bad but the problem persisted on the new monitor (leading me to believe its the gpu)

So far I haven't found any helpful results under the searches of "nvidia pixel glitch", "nvidia pixel trails", "nvidia lazy pixels" or "nvidia cuda glitch". I would be more than happy to post a screen shot however I haven't been able to properly get one. I'll work on trying to get a screen capture where the glitch is happening or get a video of it. PLEASE, if anyone has any ideas post a response.

Yges

Estimable
May 14, 2015

Hi Daniel, I have the same issue with Dark souls 2, Did you find out how to solve it?
Thank you

thriftie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I just wrote a huge reply to your post, but it got deleted.

The gist of what I was going to say was that im having the same problem on the same graphics card, and it began happening after updating drivers. I've been having this problem in BF4, BF3, and all other games I've played. As for what I call them, I have named them pixel trails, or ghosts. I really hope someone can lead me in the right direction here.

Bump

thriftie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I've done a bit more research and found some things that may lead to an answer.
I was able to find the most images of problems relating to mine by googling "nvidia game leaving static pixels", and was able to find a few images that resembled mine, but I was unable to find the post because the link lead to the websites homepage.

I'm writing this as I troubleshoot so I might lose my trail of thought a few times. What I am about to do now is turn off all my aero display settings and set windows 8 to use the best performance mode instead of best appearance. Posting this now in case I accidentally delete it

thriftie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
and, you may want to take a picture not with screenshots, but with an external camera picture of your screen, in case its something screenshots do not detect.

Yges

Estimable
May 14, 2015
Hi, thriftie, well, I think that I have good news for you :)

I have got a partial solution for the problem, maybe it could useful for you.
Well, I realized that if you change the game settings to windowed mode the glitch disappear. It is mean, this effect only appears in full-size mode.
Obviously the frame of the window is annoying and spoils the gaming experience, so, I did a research and found out a free app that made the window borderless, so , the experience is the same that full size.

This is the app: https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

I hope this tip solve the problem for you...

Please, try and tell me if it works for you!!!

Sorry for the english :p

PD: If the game is form Steam, the bordeless app works much better if you are not in "Big Picture" mode, it´s mean , use the standar visualization mode for steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.